How to control window maximize/full screen/minimize property - Xwindows

This is a discussion on How to control window maximize/full screen/minimize property - Xwindows ; Hello, I need to maximize a window which is full screen. I have its XID. But I have not found any function for that, even in the xlib, or I have not read it well. I found xwit, with which ...

  1. How to control window maximize/full screen/minimize property

    Hello,

    I need to maximize a window which is full screen. I have its XID. But I
    have not found any function for that, even in the xlib, or I have not read
    it well. I found xwit, with which I can iconify / pop (raise) the window.
    I found xprop, where I can read this property what is named
    _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM).

    So, can someone tell me how to maximize or full screen a window from its
    XID ?

  2. Re: How to control window maximize/full screen/minimize property

    Alain wrote:
    > So, can someone tell me how to maximize or full screen a window from its
    > XID ?

    This was asked and answered before.
    I think this is a very complete answer:
    How to make a Xlib-based window full screen?

    I will refrain myself from making any smart remarks.

    DuĻan Peterc

  3. Re: How to control window maximize/full screen/minimize property

    Thank you very much DuĻan and BTW happy new year,

    I am not an expert and as is, it would be a lot of time to make it work.
    It is actually not complete, there are not the #include directives, it is
    not standalone. I am not lasy, but I am looking for something like xse. I
    tryed it in debug mode and it seems I use it properly but it does not work.

    For example :
    xse -win 0x4400067 'A' 'B'
    works well. The target window I use here is OOo writer. I got the Id with
    xwininfo. "AB" is actually written.

    But if I do :
    xse -Debug -win 0x2600005 ' _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
    delete' ' _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT NewValue'
    ' _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ NewValue'
    It does not change my window from full screen state to maximized H&V state.
    Here is the output with the Debug option :

    parsed event type "PropertyNotify": type = 28, detail = 0, mods = 0
    parsed atom "_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN" = 127
    parsing PropertyDetail
    parsed "delete" in table 8050980, value = 1; *sp now ""
    parsed event type "PropertyNotify": type = 28, detail = 0, mods = 0
    parsed atom "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT" = 125
    parsing PropertyDetail
    parsed "NewValue" in table 8050980, value = 0; *sp now ""
    parsed event type "PropertyNotify": type = 28, detail = 0, mods = 0
    parsed atom "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ" = 13D
    parsing PropertyDetail
    parsed "NewValue" in table 8050980, value = 0; *sp now ""

    Here are 2 bullets from the man :

    1) An event specifier is an optional list of modifiers, followed by an
    event type description in angle brackets (`<' and `>'), followed by an
    optional repeat count in parentheses (`(' and `)'), followed by field
    specifiers that depend on the type of the event.

    2) atom state PropertyNotify atom state | window [Window] time
    [CurrentTime] Prop atom state ...
    The `atom' field should be an atom and the `state' field should be one of
    NewValue or Delete.

    Not so clear hum..... But when I read the X11 doc here :
    http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-...3/ar01s05.html at _NET_WM_STATE
    bullet :
    Possible atoms are:
    _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_SHADED, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW, ATOM
    _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION, ATOM

    So my syntax makes sense. I got in contact with the author. Unfortunatly,
    he answered me he has not "looked at it since 1995", and I found nothing
    in forums or crawling the web. As the last issue is on 1993, I imagine
    some functionalities can be uncompatible with today X11.

    Do you know some command line to do it ? Or a full standalone C source
    code ? (what is nearly the same demand isn't it ?).

+ Reply to Thread