Window initial position - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Window initial position - Xwindows ; Hi all, I had noticed very strange behaviour while trying to get the x,y coor. of a created window. I use the standard XCreateSimpleWindow(...) library call to create my window - right after I create it - I "Map" it ...

  1. Window initial position

    Hi all,

    I had noticed very strange behaviour while trying to get the x,y coor.
    of a created window.
    I use the standard XCreateSimpleWindow(...) library call to create my
    window - right after I create it - I "Map" it using XMapWindow().
    Now, all I want is to query the created window's initial x,y coor. -
    and for this I use XTranslateCoordinates(). For some reason sometimes
    the x,y coor. I receive differ from the window's actual position.

    Also, after creating the window and querying its initial location I
    subscirbe to its events - I had noticed that sometimes the window
    receives a non-interactive initial move event (which I don't always
    catch) - that changes its original initial location.

    To make it short: after the window is created I wait on its events
    with XNextEvent() and sometimes I get the event of the correct window
    location and sometime I dont get it (the location I get is in the left
    corner of the screen and not in the updated location of the window)

    How can I be sure the coor. I receive are the correct ones?
    Any suggestion? Did I miss something?

    Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Window initial position

    hagit writes:

    > [...]

    Please do not multi-post. Although this (comp.windows.x) is the
    proper group for your question, I have already answered it elsewhere
    as that is where I first saw it.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com