Mandriva's Xorg with XFree86-Misc fonts for NoMachine - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Mandriva's Xorg with XFree86-Misc fonts for NoMachine - Xwindows ; I'm using the free version of the NoMachine client at home to connect to a NoMachine server at work. When I make that connection I g3t this error: Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display host.domain.net:1001.0". I wonder if this helps ...

  1. Mandriva's Xorg with XFree86-Misc fonts for NoMachine

    I'm using the free version of the NoMachine client at home
    to connect to a NoMachine server at work. When I make that
    connection I g3t this error:

    Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display host.domain.net:1001.0".

    I wonder if this helps to explain the annoyance that a typing
    a single quote character takes over a second to respond from
    the time I press the key. Since I'm using Mandriva 2007.0 that
    means that I'm using Xorg and not XFree86. How is this dichotomy
    handled? I can't find an RPM package with a font name like the
    font that's missing. Do I need to find a font package? Any hope
    for getting those XFree86-Misc fonts?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Mandriva's Xorg with XFree86-Misc fonts for NoMachine

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:56:39 -0500, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display host.domain.net:1001.0".
    > font that's missing. Do I need to find a font package? Any hope
    > for getting those XFree86-Misc fonts?

    That isn't a font that missing, it's an extension. See the r option
    in "man xset". Fixing that on the server end, I can't help you with,
    but knowing that it's a missing extension, may help you.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Mandriva's Xorg with XFree86-Misc fonts for NoMachine

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:56:39 -0500, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display host.domain.net:1001.0".
    > > font that's missing. Do I need to find a font package? Any hope
    > > for getting those XFree86-Misc fonts?

    > That isn't a font that missing, it's an extension. See the r option
    > in "man xset". Fixing that on the server end, I can't help you with,
    > but knowing that it's a missing extension, may help you.

    That bit of clarity might just get me going in the right direction.