Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4 - Xwindows ; Does anyone know where I can found any X Window X10R4 documentation/ guide that discusses the implementation of X Window with multiple users? Thank you....

  1. Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    Does anyone know where I can found any X Window X10R4 documentation/
    guide that discusses the implementation of X Window with multiple
    users?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    francho1@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |Does anyone know where I can found any X Window X10R4 documentation/
    |guide that discusses the implementation of X Window with multiple
    |users?

    X10R4? Really? The release from 1986 that was replaced by X11R1 in
    1987?

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  3. Re: Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    On Dec 10, 6:11 pm, Alan Coopersmith
    wrote:
    > franc...@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |Does anyone know where I can found any X Window X10R4 documentation/
    > |guide that discusses the implementation of X Window with multiple
    > |users?
    >
    > X10R4? Really? The release from 1986 that was replaced by X11R1 in
    > 1987?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Coopersmith * al...@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersm...@Sun.COM
    > http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/* http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/
    > http://del.icio.us/alanc/ * http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/
    > Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

    Yes, actually any discussion of multi-user support with any X10R*
    release would be great.

  4. Re: Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    francho1@gmail.com writes:

    > On Dec 10, 6:11 pm, Alan Coopersmith
    > wrote:
    >> franc...@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    >> |Does anyone know where I can found any X Window X10R4 documentation/
    >> |guide that discusses the implementation of X Window with multiple
    >> |users?
    >>
    >> X10R4? Really? The release from 1986 that was replaced by X11R1 in
    >> 1987?

    > Yes, actually any discussion of multi-user support with any X10R*
    > release would be great.

    I don't understand your question.
    An X Windows server supports a display, not a user.

  5. Re: Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    On Dec 11, 6:24 am, Dan Espen
    wrote:
    > franc...@gmail.com writes:
    > > On Dec 10, 6:11 pm, Alan Coopersmith
    > > wrote:

    > >> X10R4? Really? The release from 1986 that was replaced by X11R1 in
    > >> 1987?

    > > Yes, actually any discussion of multi-user support with any X10R*
    > > release would be great.

    > I don't understand your question.
    > An X Windows server supports a display, not a user.

    Thanks for the responding. To clarify, I am looking for documentation
    that discusses X Window X10R4 or earlier and the logging in or out of
    a unix machine. If nothing that specific is available, are there any
    good books or articles about X Window X10R*?

  6. Re: Multiple User Implementation of X Window X10R4

    francho1@gmail.com writes:

    > On Dec 11, 6:24 am, Dan Espen
    > wrote:
    >> franc...@gmail.com writes:

    >> > Yes, actually any discussion of multi-user support with any X10R*
    >> > release would be great.

    >> I don't understand your question.
    >> An X Windows server supports a display, not a user.

    > Thanks for the responding. To clarify, I am looking for documentation
    > that discusses X Window X10R4 or earlier and the logging in or out of
    > a unix machine. If nothing that specific is available, are there any
    > good books or articles about X Window X10R*?

    I still don't see a connection back to X10R4 or logging in.
    You can log in to a UNIX machine without starting X Windows.

    The command

    man xinit

    will explain part of the login process.
    On Linux machines you may want to look at

    man startx

    Most modern X Windows environments use a graphical
    login manager. There are a bunch of them.
    Try:

    man xdm

    Is this homework or are you working on a problem?
    If you explain what you are doing you might get more
    specific answers.

+ Reply to Thread