    when displaying pdf files.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Maximize monitor resolution

    On 2007-11-27, YANSWBVCG wrote:

    > I have an Acer 1400x900 monitor which I am using with
    > X windows but only at 1280x1024 resolution. I would like
    > to tweak xorg.conf so that X uses the full 1400x900.

    Did you add "1400x900" at your `Modes' line in the Screen section?

    > The initial xorg.conf generated by 'Xorg -configure' did not permit
    > X to find a usable configuration when I ran xinit or startx. I got
    > around this by replacing the 'Driver "ati"' line in xorg.conf with
    > 'Driver "vesa"'.

    That's a rather crude measure. The vesa driver will be very slow, as it
    does everything in software. Try to use an appropriate driver for your
    hardware (like "ati"). If you have problems refer to the Xorg logfile
    in order to identify the error, and fix it.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  3. Re: Maximize monitor resolution

    John Tsiombikas wrote:
    > On 2007-11-27, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    >>
    >> I have an Acer 1400x900 monitor which I am using with
    >> X windows but only at 1280x1024 resolution. I would like
    >> to tweak xorg.conf so that X uses the full 1400x900.

    > Did you add "1400x900" at your `Modes' line in the Screen section?

    Yes. It was rejected. Error messages was "no mode of this name".

    >> The initial xorg.conf generated by 'Xorg -configure' did not permit
    >> X to find a usable configuration when I ran xinit or startx. I got
    >> around this by replacing the 'Driver "ati"' line in xorg.conf with
    >> 'Driver "vesa"'.

    > That's a rather crude measure. The vesa driver will be very slow, as it
    > does everything in software. Try to use an appropriate driver for your
    > hardware (like "ati"). If you have problems refer to the Xorg logfile
    > in order to identify the error, and fix it.

    I looked at the logfile and saw nothing to fix. I found the vesa trick
    by googling.

    The ati driver fails to find a single usable screen configuration and
    thus X fails to initialize. So far using vesa driver is the only way I
    know to get X to run.

  4. Re: Maximize monitor resolution

    On 2007-11-28, YANSWBVCG wrote:

    > John Tsiombikas wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-27, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have an Acer 1400x900 monitor which I am using with
    >>> X windows but only at 1280x1024 resolution. I would like
    >>> to tweak xorg.conf so that X uses the full 1400x900.

    >> Did you add "1400x900" at your `Modes' line in the Screen section?

    > Yes. It was rejected. Error messages was "no mode of this name".

    Then you probably need to add a custom modeline in your monitor section.
    Not for the feignhearted, google it up, and make sure you have your
    monitor's exact specs handy.

    >>> The initial xorg.conf generated by 'Xorg -configure' did not permit
    >>> X to find a usable configuration when I ran xinit or startx. I got
    >>> around this by replacing the 'Driver "ati"' line in xorg.conf with
    >>> 'Driver "vesa"'.

    >> That's a rather crude measure. The vesa driver will be very slow, as it
    >> does everything in software. Try to use an appropriate driver for your
    >> hardware (like "ati"). If you have problems refer to the Xorg logfile
    >> in order to identify the error, and fix it.

    > I looked at the logfile and saw nothing to fix. I found the vesa trick
    > by googling.
    >
    > The ati driver fails to find a single usable screen configuration and
    > thus X fails to initialize. So far using vesa driver is the only way I
    > know to get X to run.

    Yes, look it's not a fix. Vesa of course will work everywhere, but the
    performance will suffer. You really don't want to run with vesa.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  5. Re: Maximize monitor resolution

    John Tsiombikas wrote:
    > On 2007-11-28, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    >>
    >> John Tsiombikas wrote:

    >>> Did you add "1400x900" at your `Modes' line in the Screen section?

    >> Yes. It was rejected. Error messages was "no mode of this name".

    > Then you probably need to add a custom modeline in your monitor section.
    > Not for the feignhearted, google it up, and make sure you have your
    > monitor's exact specs handy.

    I added two modelines to xorg.conf monitor section. They had no effect.

    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync

    These lines came from /var/log/X.0.log

    >>> That's a rather crude measure. The vesa driver will be very slow, as it
    >>> does everything in software. Try to use an appropriate driver for your
    >>> hardware (like "ati"). If you have problems refer to the Xorg logfile
    >>> in order to identify the error, and fix it.

    >> I looked at the logfile and saw nothing to fix. I found the vesa trick
    >> by googling.
    >>
    >> The ati driver fails to find a single usable screen configuration and
    >> thus X fails to initialize. So far using vesa driver is the only way I
    >> know to get X to run.

    > Yes, look it's not a fix. Vesa of course will work everywhere, but the
    > performance will suffer. You really don't want to run with vesa.

    Right now it seems to be either vesa or no X windows.

+ Reply to Thread