Problems xfontsel'ecting full name for font - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Problems xfontsel'ecting full name for font - Xwindows ; I have the following fields fixed in xfontsel: -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-14-100-100-100-m-*-iso8859-* This matches 8 font names. The sample text show is exactly the font I want, and I presume that it corresponds to specific values in the asterisk fields. The first asterisk ...

  1. Problems xfontsel'ecting full name for font

    I have the following fields fixed in xfontsel:
    -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-14-100-100-100-m-*-iso8859-*

    This matches 8 font names. The sample text show is exactly the font I want, and
    I presume that it corresponds to specific values in the asterisk fields. The
    first asterisk is avgWdth, which has values * and 80. The 2nd asterisk is
    encdng, which has values *, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 13, 14, and 15.

    It doesn't seem to matter which nonasterisk values I choose for these two
    fields, the sample text doesn't match the way it is shown when they both contain
    asterisks. Why is this?

  2. Re: Problems xfontsel'ecting full name for font

    Dubious Dude wrote:
    > I have the following fields fixed in xfontsel:
    > -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-14-100-100-100-m-*-iso8859-*
    >
    > This matches 8 font names. The sample text show is exactly the font I want, and
    > I presume that it corresponds to specific values in the asterisk fields. The
    > first asterisk is avgWdth, which has values * and 80. The 2nd asterisk is
    > encdng, which has values *, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 13, 14, and 15.
    >
    > It doesn't seem to matter which nonasterisk values I choose for these two
    > fields, the sample text doesn't match the way it is shown when they both contain
    > asterisks. Why is this?

    In doing the above, I was trying to test the visibility of various fonts for use
    with xterm in a overly-high-res screen. I can select/highlight a font name in
    the xterm, Ctrl-Right-click in the xterm for the VT Fonts menu, then choose
    Selection. If the font name contains any asterisks, however, that font name is
    not applied (a bell is heard instead), even though xfontsel shows a depiction of
    the sample text for such a font name.

    It is easy to conclude that xterm doesn't like font names containing asterisks.
    Clicking Select in xfontsel, however, does allow such font names to be applied
    to xterm. I assumed that xfontsel (or some part of X) is choosing the first
    available values for the asterisks before applying the font to xterm. Why would
    it do this when the font name is selected in xfontsel, but not when it is
    selected in xterm? In both cases, the select buffer contains exactly the same
    font name.

    Further murkying the picture is the fact that when a font name containing a
    asterisk is bound to (say) *VT100*font5 in .Xresources, that font /can/ be
    selected from xterm's VT Fonts menu. So it seems that the only time that
    asterisks cause problems is when a font name is selected by highlighting the
    text in xterm. Is this consistent with normal X behaviour?

    Finally, why does the font name not get bound to *VT100*font5 when issuing
    following?

    xrdb -merge .Xresources
    # "xrdb -query" confirms new font for *VT100*font5

    I had to shut down X and restart it before the new font worked.

    Thanks for any wisdom on this.

+ Reply to Thread