Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    I have a new monitor with resolution 1440x900. X 7.2 does
    not start with this monitor and I can't find an xorg.conf
    to customize for this lcd. X works fine with my old 2048x1546
    monitor. Where can I find a 7.2 xorg.conf?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    On 2007-11-11, Nutty OpenBSD User Dave wrote:

    > I have a new monitor with resolution 1440x900. X 7.2 does
    > not start with this monitor and I can't find an xorg.conf
    > to customize for this lcd. X works fine with my old 2048x1546
    > monitor. Where can I find a 7.2 xorg.conf?

    I'm not sure I follow on what you're trying to find. Just edit
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and alter the monitor section, and the screen
    section. In the monitor section set the HorizSync/VertRefresh options
    according to your monitor's manual, and at the screen section edit the
    list of available screen resolutions.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  3. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    John Tsiombikas wrote:
    > On 2007-11-11, Nutty OpenBSD User Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a new monitor with resolution 1440x900. X 7.2 does
    >> not start with this monitor and I can't find an xorg.conf
    >> to customize for this lcd. X works fine with my old 2048x1546
    >> monitor. Where can I find a 7.2 xorg.conf?

    > I'm not sure I follow on what you're trying to find. Just edit
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and alter the monitor section, and the screen
    > section. In the monitor section set the HorizSync/VertRefresh options
    > according to your monitor's manual, and at the screen section edit the
    > list of available screen resolutions.

    In OpenBSD 4.2, there is no xorg.conf anywhere on the system.
    That's my problem. xinit uses a builtin xorg.conf, but the builtin
    file does not work for my new monitor, so I need a copy of xorg.conf
    to customize.

  4. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:

    > John Tsiombikas wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-11, Nutty OpenBSD User Dave wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have a new monitor with resolution 1440x900. X 7.2 does
    >>> not start with this monitor and I can't find an xorg.conf
    >>> to customize for this lcd. X works fine with my old 2048x1546
    >>> monitor. Where can I find a 7.2 xorg.conf?

    >> I'm not sure I follow on what you're trying to find. Just edit
    >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and alter the monitor section, and the screen
    >> section. In the monitor section set the HorizSync/VertRefresh options
    >> according to your monitor's manual, and at the screen section edit the
    >> list of available screen resolutions.

    > In OpenBSD 4.2, there is no xorg.conf anywhere on the system.
    > That's my problem. xinit uses a builtin xorg.conf, but the builtin
    > file does not work for my new monitor, so I need a copy of xorg.conf
    > to customize.

    Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure I follow on what you're trying to find. Just edit
    >>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and alter the monitor section, and the screen
    >>> section. In the monitor section set the HorizSync/VertRefresh options
    >>> according to your monitor's manual, and at the screen section edit the
    >>> list of available screen resolutions.

    >> In OpenBSD 4.2, there is no xorg.conf anywhere on the system.
    >> That's my problem. xinit uses a builtin xorg.conf, but the builtin
    >> file does not work for my new monitor, so I need a copy of xorg.conf
    >> to customize.

    > Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

  6. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:

    > M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    >> Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:

    >>> In OpenBSD 4.2, there is no xorg.conf anywhere on the system.
    >>> That's my problem. xinit uses a builtin xorg.conf, but the builtin
    >>> file does not work for my new monitor, so I need a copy of xorg.conf
    >>> to customize.

    >> Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    > This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

    Does OpenBSD not use the same XFree86/Xorg as is usual on Linux?

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  7. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    On 2007-11-11, Nutty OpenBSD User Dave wrote:
    >>> In OpenBSD 4.2, there is no xorg.conf anywhere on the system.
    >>> That's my problem. xinit uses a builtin xorg.conf, but the builtin
    >>> file does not work for my new monitor, so I need a copy of xorg.conf
    >>> to customize.

    >> Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    > This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

    Alright ... here's a sample, check out the x.org documentation for
    details on any of these.

    Section "ServerFlags"
    # any serverflags ...
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" #for xft
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" # or whatever...
    # ... more fontpaths ...
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "modulename"
    # ... all Xorg modules you want loaded like: glx, type1, extmod,
    # bitmap, dbe, ddc, whatever.
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "keyb"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/whatever"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2" # for ps/2 intellimice ... change as needed
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # for mousewheel support
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor"
    HorizSync lownumber - highnumber # find these at your monitor's
    VertRefresh lownumber - highnumber # manual / specifications
    Option "DPMS" # or not...
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "gfxcard"
    Driver "whatever" # vesa, nvidia, nv, ati, whatever
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "scr0"
    Device "gfxcard"
    Monitor "monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "whatever"
    Screen 0 "scr0"
    InputDevice "keyb"
    InputDevice "mouse"
    EndSection

    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  8. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    > Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:
    >
    >> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

    >>> Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    >> This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

    > Does OpenBSD not use the same XFree86/Xorg as is usual on Linux?

    As of 4.2, OpenBSD has forked X 7.2 and calls the forked version Xenocara.
    My understanding is that Xenocara is still built as a monolithic module
    in the style of 6.9 instead of as a large collection of individual modules
    which is how the standard 7.2 is now built.

  9. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    John Tsiombikas wrote:

    >>> Running X -configure should give you a good template to start from.

    >> This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

    > Alright ... here's a sample, check out the x.org documentation for
    > details on any of these.

    Thanks!

    > Section "ServerFlags"
    > # any serverflags ...
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Files"
    > FontPath "unix/:7100" #for xft
    > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" # or whatever...
    > # ... more fontpaths ...
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Module"
    > Load "modulename"
    > # ... all Xorg modules you want loaded like: glx, type1, extmod,
    > # bitmap, dbe, ddc, whatever.
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "keyb"
    > Driver "keyboard"
    > Option "CoreKeyboard"
    > Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    > Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "mouse"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "CorePointer"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/whatever"
    > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2" # for ps/2 intellimice ... change as needed
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # for mousewheel support
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "monitor"
    > HorizSync lownumber - highnumber # find these at your monitor's
    > VertRefresh lownumber - highnumber # manual / specifications
    > Option "DPMS" # or not...
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "gfxcard"
    > Driver "whatever" # vesa, nvidia, nv, ati, whatever
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "scr0"
    > Device "gfxcard"
    > Monitor "monitor"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 8
    > Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "whatever"
    > Screen 0 "scr0"
    > InputDevice "keyb"
    > InputDevice "mouse"
    > EndSection

  10. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:

    > M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    >> Nutty OpenBSD User Dave writes:

    >>> This command doesn't work on OpenBSD 4.2 (-c[onfigure] not a valid option).

    >> Does OpenBSD not use the same XFree86/Xorg as is usual on Linux?

    > As of 4.2, OpenBSD has forked X 7.2 and calls the forked version Xenocara.
    > My understanding is that Xenocara is still built as a monolithic module
    > in the style of 6.9 instead of as a large collection of individual modules
    > which is how the standard 7.2 is now built.

    The -configure option has been in XFree86 since 4.0. It's odd that
    the OpenBSD fork should remove it, but if you say that's how it is...

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  11. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Xorg -configure

  12. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    User wrote:
    > Xorg -configure

    I did this and got xorg.conf.new which I copied into /etc/xorg.conf.
    Then when I invoked xinit the brand new Acer monitor displayed the
    message "invalid input" in a floating box until I killed X and went
    back to text mode. I can post the xorg.conf file and the 0.log file
    either on this newsgroup or on my website if anyone wants to try to
    figure out what's going wrong. My old Dell monitor works without a
    hitch with X. But the new Acer does not.

  13. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Changing the driver setting in xorg.conf from "ati" to "vesa"
    fixed the problem and X comes up instantly.

  14. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

  15. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Ashish Shukla ???????????? ??????????????? wrote:

    > ,--- Eccentric OpenBSD User Dave writes:
    > | Changing the driver setting in xorg.conf from "ati" to "vesa"
    > | fixed the problem and X comes up instantly.
    >
    > If you wanted to try 'ati', you can print current video modeline in
    > 'vesa' using following command:
    >
    > % xvidtune -show

    xvidtune reports that the monitor settings cannot be changed.

    > And then change driver to 'ati' and add the generated modeline into
    > "Monitor" section of your X configuration file.

    I added modelines below from /var/log/X.0.log to the xorg.conf file,
    but the screen resolution was still 1280x1024.

    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync

    > BtW, I'm running
    > GNU/Linux on 'intel' driver, so not sure whether it'll work for you or
    > not. Following is an excerpt from my 'xorg.conf' :
    >
    > - ----8<----8<----
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor0"
    > ModelName "LCD Panel 1440x900"
    > HorizSync 50.0 - 75.0
    > VertRefresh 60.0 - 85.0
    > Option "dpms"
    > ModeLine "1440x900@75" 136.75 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 903 909 942 -hsync +vsync
    > DisplaySize 408.94 254.0
    > Option "TargetRefresh" "75.0"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > Driver "intel"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen0"
    > Device "Videocard0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Viewport 0 0
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1440x900@75" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" #@75
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    > - ---->8---->8----
    >
    > HTH
    > - --
    > Ashish Shukla ???????????? ??????????????? http://wahjava.wordpress.com/
    > ??-- ??- ???????? ??--- ??- ??????- ??- ??--??-?? --?? -- ??- ???? ??-???? ??-??-??- -??-?? --- --

  16. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

  17. Re: xorg.conf for 1440x900 lcd

    Ashish Shukla ???????????? ??????????????? wrote:

    > ,--- YANSWBVCG writes:
    > | Ashish Shukla ???????????? ??????????????? wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > || If you wanted to try 'ati', you can print current video modeline in
    > || 'vesa' using following command:
    > || % xvidtune -show
    >
    > | xvidtune reports that the monitor settings cannot be changed.
    >
    > Are you running in 'vesa' mode when you executed above command ?

    Yes.

    > Is 'XFree86-VidModeExtension' present, to verify that, execute:
    >
    > % xdpyinfo |fgrep -i VidMode
    > XFree86-VidModeExtension
    >
    > If XFree86-VidModeExtension is loaded, it will print
    > 'XFree86-VidModeExtension'.

    > And BtW, did you passed '-show' switch to the 'xvidtune', hmm.. ?

    Yes.

    > || And then change driver to 'ati' and add the generated modeline into
    > || "Monitor" section of your X configuration file.

    The modelines have no effect with the vesa driver. I will try them
    with the ati driver, but the ati driver appears to be broken.

    > | I added modelines below from /var/log/X.0.log to the xorg.conf file,
    > | but the screen resolution was still 1280x1024.
    >
    > | Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
    > | Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync
    >
    > Have you added a "1440x900" mode in "Display" subsection of "Screen"
    > section, hmm.. ?

    Yes.

    > Indicate which OS and version of Xorg you're running.

    ==============
    (--) checkDevMem: using aperture driver /dev/xf86
    (--) Using wscons driver on /dev/ttyC4 in pcvt compatibility mode (version 3.32)
    (WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
    (WW) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

    X Window System Version 7.2.0
    Release Date: 22 January 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
    Build Operating System: OpenBSD 4.2 amd64
    Current Operating System: OpenBSD puf2.localhost.comcast.net 4.2 GENERIC#1179 amd64
    Build Date: 08 August 2007
    =============
    > Please paste your xorg.conf

    ================
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "xtrap"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "wsmouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    #DisplaySize 410 260 # mm
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "ACR"
    ModelName "Acer AL1916W"
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
    HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
    Option "DPMS"
    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
    Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "NoAccel" # []
    #Option "SWcursor" # []
    #Option "Dac6Bit" # []
    #Option "Dac8Bit" # []
    #Option "PanelOff" # []
    #Option "DDCMode" # []
    #Option "MonitorLayout" # []
    #Option "IgnoreEDID" # []
    #Option "UseFBDev" # []
    #Option "MergedFB" # []
    #Option "CRT2HSync" # []
    #Option "CRT2VRefresh" # []
    #Option "CRT2Position" # []
    #Option "MetaModes" # []
    #Option "MergedDPI" # []
    #Option "MergedXinerama" # []
    #Option "MergedXineramaCRT2IsScreen0" # []
    #Option "MergedNonRectangular" # []
    #Option "MergedMouseRestriction" # []
    #Option "DisplayPriority" # []
    #Option "PanelSize" # []
    #Option "ForceMinDotClock" #
    #Option "ColorTiling" # []
    #Option "VideoKey" #
    #Option "RageTheatreCrystal" #
    #Option "RageTheatreTunerPort" #
    #Option "RageTheatreCompositePort" #
    #Option "RageTheatreSVideoPort" #
    #Option "TunerType" #
    #Option "RageTheatreMicrocPath" #
    #Option "RageTheatreMicrocType" #
    #Option "RenderAccel" # []
    #Option "SubPixelOrder" # []
    #Option "ShowCache" # []
    #Option "DynamicClocks" # []
    #Option "BIOSHotkeys" # []
    #Option "VGAAccess" # []
    #Option "ReverseDDC" # []
    #Option "LVDSProbePLL" # []
    #Option "AccelMethod" #
    #Option "ConstantDPI" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "vesa"
    VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
    BoardName "RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]"
    BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"