Switching between client windows when using Exceed - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Switching between client windows when using Exceed - Xwindows ; Hi, How can I configure Xceed so that when I am connected to a Solaris machine (from Windows OS), I can switch between multiple windows on the Solaris machine using the usual Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut. Is this, possibly, a keyboard ...

  1. Switching between client windows when using Exceed

    Hi,

    How can I configure Xceed so that when I am connected to a Solaris
    machine (from Windows OS), I can switch between multiple windows on
    the Solaris machine using the usual Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut.

    Is this, possibly, a keyboard mapping problem ? Or does Solaris not
    recognize the Alt+Tab option ?

    Thanks,
    Vinay

  2. Re: Switching between client windows when using Exceed

    On 2007-10-30, Vinay Kotamraju wrote:

    > How can I configure Xceed so that when I am connected to a Solaris
    > machine (from Windows OS), I can switch between multiple windows on
    > the Solaris machine using the usual Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut.
    >
    > Is this, possibly, a keyboard mapping problem ? Or does Solaris not
    > recognize the Alt+Tab option ?

    Hello.
    First of all, solaris has nothing to do with it. If the issue is
    solaris-side, then it definitely depends on which window manager (desktop
    environment whatever) you use there; which you didn't mention.

    Solaris comes by default with two desktops, CDE and GNOME. I'm sure
    GNOME by default uses alt-tab for window switching, not sure about CDE,
    although I'm quite certain that this sort of thing is configurable.

    However, your problem is likely to be windows-side. The windows GUI uses
    alt-tab itself to switch between top-level windows, which makes it
    rather unlikely to pass these key-presses to any application (like the
    exceed X server). So, your first step towards resolving your problem,
    would be to find out (by asking in a windows newsgroup perhaps), whether
    it is possible to convince windows, to stop hogging alt-tab

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

+ Reply to Thread