XTerm mouse binding - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XTerm mouse binding - Xwindows ; Hi all, I have a burning question for quite some time I've been searching for an answer for. In Xterm and using mouse, left button is used to copy text, and middle button is used to paste. I want to ...

  1. XTerm mouse binding

    Hi all,

    I have a burning question for quite some time I've been searching for
    an answer for.

    In Xterm and using mouse, left button is used to copy text, and middle
    button is used to paste. I want to use right button instead to paste
    text. How do I do it? I am mainly using linux, but that wouldn't
    really matter as long as it's all X window... ?

    Thanks,
    Daniel

  2. Re: XTerm mouse binding

    "dyoon99@gmail.com" writes:

    > In Xterm and using mouse, left button is used to copy text, and middle
    > button is used to paste. I want to use right button instead to paste
    > text. How do I do it?

    Add the following to your X resources (e.g. with xrdb or $XENVIRONMENT).
    This swaps the meanings of the unshifted buttons 2 and 3.

    XTerm.vt100.translations: #override \n\
    ~Ctrl ~Meta : ignore() \n\
    ~Ctrl ~Meta : insert-selection(SELECT, CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
    ~Ctrl ~Meta : ignore() \n\
    ~Ctrl ~Meta : start-extend() \n\
    ~Meta : ignore() \n\
    ~Meta : select-extend()

  3. Re: XTerm mouse binding

    On 2007-10-19, dyoon99@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a burning question for quite some time I've been searching for
    > an answer for.
    >
    > In Xterm and using mouse, left button is used to copy text, and middle
    > button is used to paste. I want to use right button instead to paste
    > text. How do I do it? I am mainly using linux, but that wouldn't
    > really matter as long as it's all X window... ?

    Since someone already answered (and I didn't know the answer anyway),
    I'll just say that I would advise against what you want to do.
    Middle click is pretty much the standard way to paste selections in X.

    If your middle mouse button has a problem, then you can add an Option
    "Emulate3Buttons" "true" to your X.org/XFree86 configuration file in the
    pointing device section, to middle click by pressing both left/right
    buttons simultaneously. Or alternatively, get a new mouse.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

+ Reply to Thread