Beryl draws a grey screen, blocks view, does not work - X

This is a discussion on Beryl draws a grey screen, blocks view, does not work - X ; I am running Fedora 7 on a Acer 64 bit laptop. It actually works. However, when I start beryl, it draws a full screen sized grey rectangle and does not let me work. If , while in this grey screen, ...

  1. Beryl draws a grey screen, blocks view, does not work

    I am running Fedora 7 on a Acer 64 bit laptop. It actually
    works. However, when I start beryl, it draws a full screen sized grey
    rectangle and does not let me work. If , while in this grey screen, I
    press Alt-Tab, I see the tab switcher, which I think works, but all
    windows are covered with grey. If I start beryl from terminal, I can
    press Contrrol-C, and this kills beryl and returns me to my regular
    scrween (without gnome-wm, which I need to restart). Any ideas?

  2. Re: Beryl draws a grey screen, blocks view, does not work

    Ignoramus8571 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am running Fedora 7 on a Acer 64 bit laptop. It actually works.
    > However, when I start beryl, it draws a full screen sized grey
    > rectangle and does not let me work. If , while in this grey screen, I
    > press Alt-Tab, I see the tab switcher, which I think works, but all
    > windows are covered with grey. If I start beryl from terminal, I can
    > press ^C, and this kills beryl and returns me to my regular screen
    > (without gnome-wm, which I need to restart). Any ideas?

    Beryl? That project's done and the new development is happening in
    compiz-fusion. There are a lot of things that could be going wrong
    here, and you haven't provided enough information to do a diagnosis.
    Which graphics card is in this machine? Which X module are you using?
    Are you using regular X, or XGL? What does "glxinfo | head" say? How
    was beryl started? What are the environment variables it's using? What
    internal settings is beryl using?

    Also, the only point of beryl/compiz-fusion is eye candy. If you need
    stability, *don't run it*, because it's still pretty beta. Even the
    Gentoo compiz-fusion ebuilds from the xeffects overlay have some
    glitches, so I can only imagine how much worse Fedora packages are.

    --
    Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.