Everything using OpenGL stutters - X

This is a discussion on Everything using OpenGL stutters - X ; For a few days - I surely have changed anything but I don't know what - everything that uses OpenGL stutters every few seconds, both Video and Audio. The only exclusions are glxgears and Wine programs using DirectX. Wine programs ...

  1. Everything using OpenGL stutters

    For a few days - I surely have changed anything but I don't know what -
    everything that uses OpenGL stutters every few seconds, both Video and
    Audio. The only exclusions are glxgears and Wine programs using DirectX.
    Wine programs that use OpenGL natively have this problem as well. I use
    X.Org 7.3 with fglrx 8.542 on Gentoo without any compositing.

    Does anyone know that problem or have a hint?

    -Erik

    --
    v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-8.12/-6.56g6OR

  2. Re: Everything using OpenGL stutters

    Erik Hahn wrote:

    > For a few days - I surely have changed anything but I don't know what -
    > everything that uses OpenGL stutters every few seconds, both Video and
    > Audio. The only exclusions are glxgears and Wine programs using DirectX.
    > Wine programs that use OpenGL natively have this problem as well. I use
    > X.Org 7.3 with fglrx 8.542 on Gentoo without any compositing.
    >
    > Does anyone know that problem or have a hint?
    >
    > -Erik

    See what visuals or fbconfigs the programs in question (that are slow) are
    using.

    glxinfo -v can tell you about those visuals and fbconfigs. You might also
    want to check if direct rendering is being used (which glxinfo will also
    tell you).

    My guess is that it's a driver bug, or for some reason the OpenGL programs
    are selecting attributes that result in a slow config (which might be a
    libGL bug).

    fglrx is a partly proprietary driver, so it wouldn't surprise me if the
    Linux kernel code they use breaks. The Linux kernel gets a lot of
    rototilling at times, without any concern for regressions of drivers
    maintained outside of the standard tree, because there is no formal
    driver/extension API for the kernel.

    --George

  3. Re: Everything using OpenGL stutters

    Erik Hahn schrieb:
    > For a few days - I surely have changed anything but I don't know what -
    > everything that uses OpenGL stutters every few seconds, both Video and
    > Audio. The only exclusions are glxgears and Wine programs using DirectX.
    > Wine programs that use OpenGL natively have this problem as well. I use
    > X.Org 7.3 with fglrx 8.542 on Gentoo without any compositing.
    >
    > Does anyone know that problem or have a hint?

    Run "glxinfo" in the shell to check whether you're using the
    hardware-accelerated OpenGL version.

    Mine says:

    thor@rusime04:~> glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    server glx version string: 1.4

    The important parts are: 1) It says "direct rendering: Yes", and 2) The
    glx vendor should not be SGI. (Won't be NVIDIA for you, obviously.)

    So long,
    Thomas

  4. Re: Everything using OpenGL stutters

    On 2008-11-10, GPS wrote:
    > Erik Hahn wrote:
    >
    >> For a few days - I surely have changed anything but I don't know what -
    >> everything that uses OpenGL stutters every few seconds, both Video and
    >> Audio. The only exclusions are glxgears and Wine programs using DirectX.
    >> Wine programs that use OpenGL natively have this problem as well. I use
    >> X.Org 7.3 with fglrx 8.542 on Gentoo without any compositing.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know that problem or have a hint?
    >>
    >> -Erik

    > See what visuals or fbconfigs the programs in question (that are slow) are
    > using.
    >
    > glxinfo -v can tell you about those visuals and fbconfigs. You might also
    > want to check if direct rendering is being used (which glxinfo will also
    > tell you).

    Direct rendering is enabled. How to check what visuals and fbconfig
    something uses?

    However, it looks like the "SGI error":

    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
    client glx vendor string: SGI

    > My guess is that it's a driver bug, or for some reason the OpenGL programs
    > are selecting attributes that result in a slow config (which might be a
    > libGL bug).

    Since ATI supplies a custom libGL that's kinda the same.

    > fglrx is a partly proprietary driver, so it wouldn't surprise me if the
    > Linux kernel code they use breaks. The Linux kernel gets a lot of
    > rototilling at times, without any concern for regressions of drivers
    > maintained outside of the standard tree, because there is no formal
    > driver/extension API for the kernel.

    I know, that happens all the time. But usually it breaks completely, no
    "just a bit"

    I'll try reinstalling mesa and fglrx, maybe that fixes it.

    --
    v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-8.12/-6.56g6OR

  5. Re: Everything using OpenGL stutters

    On 2008-11-10, Erik Hahn wrote:
    > I'll try reinstalling mesa and fglrx, maybe that fixes it.

    It doesn't. Any other suggestions?

    --
    v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-8.12/-6.56g6OR

+ Reply to Thread