xserver shows apps on the localhost and not on remote client - X

This is a discussion on xserver shows apps on the localhost and not on remote client - X ; Hi pals... I don't know much about X. This having been said, I've got 1) a target host running Xserver and sshd: ps -ax log says the following: 30198 tty1 S+ 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R7/bin/startx 30222 tty1 S+ 0:00 /usr/X11R7/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc ...

  1. xserver shows apps on the localhost and not on remote client

    Hi pals...
    I don't know much about X. This having been said, I've got
    1) a target host running Xserver and sshd:
    ps -ax log says the following:
    30198 tty1 S+ 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R7/bin/startx
    30222 tty1 S+ 0:00 /usr/X11R7/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -
    mode 0x011B -shadow -mouse /dev/mouse,5
    30223 tty1 S< 77:55 X :0 -mode 0x011B -shadow -mouse /dev/mouse,
    5
    2) a client host connected via ssh with the -X option.
    On the server xauth basically doens't have any rule (.Xauthority
    doesn't even exist) BUT I disabled the access control (xhost +)
    After I've connected to the server, when I try to open a Xapp, I get
    this damn message

    "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"

    At this point the sole option that seems to affect the behavior is
    "export DISPLAY=:0.0".
    After I've used it I'm able to start any x application BUT this is
    shown in the host target (on the machine I'm connecting TO), not on
    the client.
    How to solve this ? I've tried a lot of stuff but nothing seems to
    work ...

  2. Re: xserver shows apps on the localhost and not on remote client

    InuY4sha wrote:

    > Hi pals...
    > I don't know much about X. This having been said, I've got
    > 1) a target host running Xserver and sshd:
    > ps -ax log says the following:
    > 30198 tty1 S+ 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R7/bin/startx
    > 30222 tty1 S+ 0:00 /usr/X11R7/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -
    > mode 0x011B -shadow -mouse /dev/mouse,5
    > 30223 tty1 S< 77:55 X :0 -mode 0x011B -shadow -mouse /dev/mouse,
    > 5
    > 2) a client host connected via ssh with the -X option.
    > On the server xauth basically doens't have any rule (.Xauthority
    > doesn't even exist) BUT I disabled the access control (xhost +)
    > After I've connected to the server, when I try to open a Xapp, I get
    > this damn message
    >
    > "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"
    >
    > At this point the sole option that seems to affect the behavior is
    > "export DISPLAY=:0.0".
    > After I've used it I'm able to start any x application BUT this is
    > shown in the host target (on the machine I'm connecting TO), not on
    > the client.
    > How to solve this ? I've tried a lot of stuff but nothing seems to
    > work ...

    The X server has to run on the machine where you want to see the
    application, that is on your *client* above.

    Florian

  3. Re: xserver shows apps on the localhost and not on remote client

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:58:03 -0700 (PDT),
    InuY4sha , in
    <1f9a4eed-0524-4dd0-b65d-899efd98d694@64g2000hsm.googlegroups.com> wrote:

    > 1) a target host running Xserver and sshd:

    The xserver doesn't matter, but the sshd does.

    > 2) a client host connected via ssh with the -X option.
    > On the server xauth basically doens't have any rule (.Xauthority
    > doesn't even exist) BUT I disabled the access control (xhost +)

    xhost + is unnecessary. Besides, that would have to be issued on the
    client machine.

    > At this point the sole option that seems to affect the behavior is
    > "export DISPLAY=:0.0".

    Don't mess with the DISPLAY variable. If ssh isn't setting right, then
    there is a problem. Do a ssh login and do this:

    echo $DISPLAY

    you should get:

    localhost:10.0

    isn't looking good, either.