xterm's Tek mode question - X

This is a discussion on xterm's Tek mode question - X ; I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph" and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the stable debian repository. I ...

  1. xterm's Tek mode question

    I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    stable debian repository.

    I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    Thanks,
    CJ

  2. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 22:29:05 +0000 (UTC),
    Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com>, in
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.x, Chris Jones wrote:
    > > I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    > > Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    > > and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    > > stable debian repository.
    > >
    > > I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    > > sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    > Those are terminal sequences to test the tek graphic facilities. Start
    > up an xterm in tek mode ("xterm -t"), then e.g., "cat usmap.tek".

    It's been a while since I've had to use the tektronix graphics in an
    xterm, but yeah, that's what I remember.

    cat

    and *poof* it was drawn. We'd do that to proof a plot before sending it
    to a large-format plotter, which was some sort of thermal transfer device -
    or was it an electrostatic?

    It's been at least, umm, 14 years since I had to do that.

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.x, Chris Jones wrote:
    >> I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >> Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >> and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >> stable debian repository.
    >>
    >> I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    >> sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    > Those are terminal sequences to test the tek graphic facilities. Start
    > up an xterm in tek mode ("xterm -t"), then e.g., "cat usmap.tek".
    >
    > Other than those test files, I've never used tek mode and can't answer
    > anything else about it.
    >
    > Elijah
    > ------
    > google says that plot is part of Gnu's 'plotutils'

    vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    file.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  4. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 04 Oct 2008 16:25:19 GMT, Chris Jones wrote:
    > I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    > Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    > and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    > stable debian repository.
    >
    > I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    > sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CJ

    Thanks to all!

  5. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 09 Oct 2008 11:40:25 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    > Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.x, Chris Jones wrote:
    >>> I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >>> Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >>> and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >>> stable debian repository.
    >>>
    >>> I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    >>> sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    >> Those are terminal sequences to test the tek graphic facilities. Start
    >> up an xterm in tek mode ("xterm -t"), then e.g., "cat usmap.tek".

    I had taken a peek and they looked like a bunch of ctlseq's but somehow
    it didn't click .. I'm more familiar with using echo and didn't realize
    it was a simple as cat'ting them.

    >> Other than those test files, I've never used tek mode and can't answer
    >> anything else about it.
    >>
    >> Elijah
    >> ------
    >> google says that plot is part of Gnu's 'plotutils'

    > vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    > mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    > file.

  6. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:56:24 +0000 (UTC), I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 22:29:05 +0000 (UTC),
    > Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com>, in
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.x, Chris Jones wrote:
    >> > I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >> > Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >> > and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >> > stable debian repository.
    >> >
    >> > I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    >> > sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    >> Those are terminal sequences to test the tek graphic facilities. Start
    >> up an xterm in tek mode ("xterm -t"), then e.g., "cat usmap.tek".

    > It's been a while since I've had to use the tektronix graphics in an
    > xterm, but yeah, that's what I remember.
    >
    > cat
    >
    > and *poof* it was drawn. We'd do that to proof a plot before sending it
    > to a large-format plotter, which was some sort of thermal transfer device -
    > or was it an electrostatic?
    >
    > It's been at least, umm, 14 years since I had to do that.

    I would assume that being more flexible, user-friendly, etc. ..
    GUI-based stuff rather than terminals is what folks use these days?

  7. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 09 Oct 2008 11:40:25 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    > Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.x, Chris Jones wrote:
    >>> I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >>> Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >>> and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >>> stable debian repository.
    >>>
    >>> I did find a tektests directory in the xterm source tree but I'm not
    >>> sure what these .tek files contain and how they can be used.

    >> Those are terminal sequences to test the tek graphic facilities. Start
    >> up an xterm in tek mode ("xterm -t"), then e.g., "cat usmap.tek".
    >>
    >> Other than those test files, I've never used tek mode and can't answer
    >> anything else about it.
    >>
    >> Elijah
    >> ------
    >> google says that plot is part of Gnu's 'plotutils'

    > vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    > mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    > file.

    I couldn't find those .. but then the xterm I'm using is out of an
    xfree 4.3.0 tree - XTerm(222) per xterm -v. so that may be the reason.

    I have a feeling my Tek emulation is not set up properly either: font
    is double-spaced .. arrow keys do not work .. even after issuing CTRL+L
    some of the previously typed text remains visible and overtyping it
    causes non-ascii characters to be displayed etc..

    It's rather difficult to figure out how it should behave since I've
    never seen it properly set up and there are probably not screen shots
    available anywhere .. and in any case since it seems to be nothing more
    than a historical curiosity at this point .. I'm not sure I should
    bother anybody with this in the first place.

    I did play a bit with plotutils and got the examples on the man pages
    to work and (same as the tektest samples) the results are quite
    striking.

    Thanks.

  8. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Chris Jones wrote:
    > On 09 Oct 2008 11:40:25 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    >> vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    >> mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    >> file.

    > I couldn't find those .. but then the xterm I'm using is out of an
    > xfree 4.3.0 tree - XTerm(222) per xterm -v. so that may be the reason.

    http://invisible-island.net/vttest/
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

    Also -

    http://vt100.net/tektronix/4014-um/

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  9. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Chris Jones wrote:
    > I would assume that being more flexible, user-friendly, etc. ..
    > GUI-based stuff rather than terminals is what folks use these days?

    generally (but the GUI-based stuff suffers from all of the problems the
    terminals did: lack of documentation, standardization except by market
    share, etc).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  10. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 13 Oct 2008 11:14:10 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    > Chris Jones wrote:
    >> On 09 Oct 2008 11:40:25 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    >>> vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    >>> mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    >>> file.

    >> I couldn't find those .. but then the xterm I'm using is out of an
    >> xfree 4.3.0 tree - XTerm(222) per xterm -v. so that may be the reason.

    > http://invisible-island.net/vttest/

    Thanks. Found the tek tests in the "other terminals" sub menu - but
    haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

    > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

    Heavy stuff :-)

    > Also -
    >
    > http://vt100.net/tektronix/4014-um/

    Downloaded it but all I have is blank pages - with evince .. Haven't
    had the time to look into this.

    Thanks.

  11. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 15 Oct 2008 01:59:03 GMT, Chris Jones wrote:
    > On 13 Oct 2008 11:14:10 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    >> Chris Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I couldn't find those .. but then the xterm I'm using is out of an
    >>> xfree 4.3.0 tree - XTerm(222) per xterm -v. so that may be the reason.

    >> http://invisible-island.net/vttest/

    > Thanks. Found the tek tests in the "other terminals" sub menu - but
    > haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    >
    >> http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

    > Heavy stuff :-)
    >
    >> Also -
    >>
    >> http://vt100.net/tektronix/4014-um/

    > Downloaded it but all I have is blank pages - with evince .. Haven't
    > had the time to look into this.

    My bad .. the 4014 manual and evince somehow do not get along.

    I accidentally found that the reason I was getting blank pages was that
    on my old/slow machine it took almost five (5) minutes to render the
    first few pages.

    I installed xpdf and was able to cursorily read through the manual and
    I am rather amazed at what I read/saw.

    It seeems that this terminal that goes back some 35 years had better
    graphic capabilities than anything you can run on a PC. They are not
    screenshots but there are a couple of photos that appear to display
    highly complex graphics such as I have never seen on PC hardware.

    I tried the vttest program and though it's not much use to me - I'm not
    trying to verify that a particular emulation conforms to the original -
    I did eventually manage to run the tek tests under "other terminals" and
    it looks as if in my setup I was getting a VT emulation window with the
    vttest menu - although $TERM was set to "tek4014" IIRC, and the result
    of each test - such as a grid .. a display of Hello World in the four
    available fonts .. was displayed in a separate "tek" window.

    I'm still not sure why I'm getting text that looks like this:

    H e l l o W o r l d

    ... when I start an "xterm -t" but that's not really such a major issue
    after all.

    This whole thing got me curious as to whether I could use a tek window
    to display a graph of my CPU utilization .. or network up/down-load
    traffic .. etc. - e.g.

    But at this point what puzzles me most of all is why nobody seems to use
    this emulation despite its potential?

    Anyway .. sorry to bother you folks.

    Have a great day!

  12. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Chris Jones writes:

    > I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    > Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    > and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    > stable debian repository.

    % gnuplot
    [...]
    prompt: set term
    [...]
    tek40xx Tektronix 4010 and others; most TEK emulators
    tek410x Tektronix 4106, 4107, 4109 and 420X terminals
    [...]
    vttek VT-like tek40xx terminal emulator
    [...]
    prompt: ^D
    %

    --
    TORPEDOED BY AIRCRAFT. SINKING. U-326.

  13. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Chris Jones writes:

    > I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    > Tektronix emulation

    other than gnuplot, i do remember the PLOT10 fortran library

    --
    CLICKED BY HUNDREDS OF CORVETTES. SINKING. U-653.

  14. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:27:27 +0200, Giacomo Boffi wrote:
    > Chris Jones writes:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >> Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >> and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >> stable debian repository.

    > % gnuplot
    > [...]
    > prompt: set term
    > [...]
    > tek40xx Tektronix 4010 and others; most TEK emulators
    > tek410x Tektronix 4106, 4107, 4109 and 420X terminals
    > [...]
    > vttek VT-like tek40xx terminal emulator
    > [...]
    > prompt: ^D
    > %

    This looks rather interesting.

    The trouble is that the xterm/tek window that I run gnuplot in is not
    displaying fonts correctly. As a result I have to type blindly and the
    screen is quickly cluttered by overwrites and once in gnuplot I don't
    know how I can clear the screen.

    Maybe it's just my X resource file that screws up everything.

    But let me take a look at the gnuplot doc and see if I can figure out
    what's happening.

  15. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:27:27 +0200, Giacomo Boffi wrote:
    > Chris Jones writes:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if there are any programs that might help demo xterm's
    >> Tektronix emulation - found examples that used such things as "graph"
    >> and "plot" but I haven't been able to locate these programs in the
    >> stable debian repository.

    > % gnuplot
    > [...]
    > prompt: set term
    > [...]
    > tek40xx Tektronix 4010 and others; most TEK emulators
    > tek410x Tektronix 4106, 4107, 4109 and 420X terminals
    > [...]
    > vttek VT-like tek40xx terminal emulator
    > [...]
    > prompt: ^D
    > %

    The reason my fonts looked as if they were double-spaced was that the
    tek window was full-screen. If I leave the tek window to the default
    size that's specified the fonts are ok.

  16. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    Chris Jones writes:

    > once in gnuplot I don't know how I can clear the screen.

    Control+Button2 popups a menu that contains a RESET command
    --
    TORPEDOED BY FOUR BROKEN IRC SERVERS. LEAVE BOAT. U-735.

  17. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:15:50 +0200, Giacomo Boffi wrote:
    > Chris Jones writes:
    >
    >> once in gnuplot I don't know how I can clear the screen.

    > Control+Button2 popups a menu that contains a RESET command

    Good point!

    I tend to forget that there is a life beyond the keyboard -- I was using
    CTRL+L which naturally doesn't make any sense to the "vttek terminal"

    I'm a lot more interested in the capabilities of xterm's 4014 emulation
    than gnuplot per se, but I must say that with even my very elementary
    notions of mathematics gnuplot is a lot of fun.

    What I find rather surprising is that I'm in an xterm window in VT mode
    ... then I start gnuplot and set term to vttek .. then do something like
    a "splot sin(x) * cos(x) / tan(x)" or whatever .. and all of a sudden my
    VT window/terminal becomes a graphic display .. now there's some magic
    here that I don't understand.

    To me that's the hard part .. with the countless samples I found in the
    various gnuplot galleries .. and all the scripts that go with them ..
    not to mention the excellent tutorials .. learning gnuplot should really
    be a breeze!

    At this point and following the above sequence .. everything works very
    smoothly .. the only thing that the tek emulation does not appear to
    have is color(s) .. presumably the original tektronix terminal did not
    have that either.

    Also, I'm curious of the possibility of using the tek emulation to
    graph something like my CPU utilization or network activity in "real
    time" on the terminal. I've written a few awk one-liners that display
    the numbers on my gnu/screen status line - so I can tell at a glance
    what's going on .. and I was thinking it would be cool to do the same
    thing "graphically".

    Thanks for your tips and apologies for my total ignorance and dumb
    questions.

  18. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On 13 Oct 2008 11:14:10 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    > Chris Jones wrote:
    >> On 09 Oct 2008 11:40:25 GMT, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
    >>> vttest also has some test-screens for the tek4014 emulation (including the
    >>> mouse). The control sequences are documented in xterm's control sequences
    >>> file.

    >> I couldn't find those .. but then the xterm I'm using is out of an
    >> xfree 4.3.0 tree - XTerm(222) per xterm -v. so that may be the reason.

    > http://invisible-island.net/vttest/
    > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html
    >
    > Also -
    >
    > http://vt100.net/tektronix/4014-um/

    And .. does your tek emulation support color?

    Thanks!

  19. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Nov 1, 6:27*pm, Chris Jones wrote:

    > And .. does your tek emulation support color?

    no - that terminal type didn't support color (here's a comment on that
    from another source):
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/softw...7/tektroni.pdf

  20. Re: xterm's Tek mode question

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:45:23 -0700 (PDT), dickey wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 6:27*pm, Chris Jones wrote:
    >
    >> And .. does your tek emulation support color?

    > no - that terminal type didn't support color (here's a comment on that
    > from another source):
    > http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/softw...7/tektroni.pdf

    Thanks for confirmation... unfortunately!

+ Reply to Thread