Drag windows across multiple x servers - X

This is a discussion on Drag windows across multiple x servers - X ; Suppose I have x server :0 and :1 running on the same machine/same user. Is there any way I can move a window from one server to the other? Here's my setup: I have a laptop with an external monitor. ...

  1. Drag windows across multiple x servers

    Suppose I have x server :0 and :1 running on the same machine/same
    user. Is there any way I can move a window from one server to the
    other?

    Here's my setup:
    I have a laptop with an external monitor. Due to work requirements, I
    have to use Windows natively, but I run Linux (Fedora) inside VMWare.
    This lets me use Linux on one (full) screen fairly well.

    Then I create a new VNC session on linux, and connect to it from
    Windows, using the second monitor (full screen). This gives me like
    90% of what I need, but the only thing missing is some way to share
    windows between the first x server running on the vmware 'monitor' and
    the one running through vnc.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Drag windows across multiple x servers

    eel Tech staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Suppose I have X servers :0 and :1 running on the same machine/same
    > user. Is there any way I can move a window from one X server to the
    > other?

    Yes, but it's really annoying and somewhat buggy. It's called xmove.
    It doesn't have distro packages AFAICT, but the source is easily
    Googleable. It slows everything down, since it doesn't use local
    sockets or SHM, and requires all the X servers involved to be able to
    communicate over TCP.

    > have to use Windows natively, but I run Linux (Fedora) inside VMWare.
    > Then I create a new VNC session on linux, and connect to it from
    > Windows, using the second monitor (full screen). This gives me like
    > 90% of what I need, but the only thing missing is some way to share
    > windows between the first x server running on the vmware 'monitor' and
    > the one running through vnc.

    If 'Doze is running on the bare metal, then it's going to be even worse
    and may not even be doable with xmove. You'll probably have to live
    with separate Displays in this case.

    But what's preventing the VMWare instance from seeing both Screens as if
    'Doze were running Xinerama? If you fix that, you may not even need
    xmove. Check the VMWare docs about using multiple monitors in guest
    OSes--there's got to be something in there. But if the graphics card
    that's being emulated doesn't do dual-head (entirely possible) then
    forget it.

    --
    207. The following are not legal weapons in a duel: Steamrollers,
    Nerve Gas, Land Mines, Midgets.