virtual screen - X

This is a discussion on virtual screen - X ; hi group, i've got one of these new netbooks and have installed xubuntu on it. all works fine - despite the small screen is sometimes a pain. i remember there was a way to set up a "virtual screen" which ...

  1. virtual screen

    hi group,

    i've got one of these new netbooks and have installed xubuntu on it.
    all works fine - despite the small screen is sometimes a pain.

    i remember there was a way to set up a "virtual screen" which can be
    defined bigger than the physical screen and when you move the mouse
    towards the borders of the physical screen it "moves" over the virtual
    screen. i've added the line "virtual" in xorg.conf, subsection display
    but this didn't to the trick. can anybody give me a hint on how to set
    this up?

    thanks,
    stephan

  2. Re: virtual screen

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:14:58 -0700 (PDT), steph wrote:

    > i remember there was a way to set up a "virtual screen" which can be
    > defined bigger than the physical screen and when you move the mouse
    > towards the borders of the physical screen it "moves" over the virtual
    > screen. i've added the line "virtual" in xorg.conf, subsection display
    > but this didn't to the trick. can anybody give me a hint on how to set
    > this up?

    You have to add the desired resolution, as in

    Virtual 1280 1024

    If that doesn't work, read the Xorg.0.log. Your graphics or the relevant
    server may not support the resolution or even virtual screens; for
    example, recent versions of the intel server don't (only temporarily I
    hope).

    Bob T.

  3. Re: virtual screen

    On 17 Sep., 13:34, Bob Tennent wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:14:58 -0700 (PDT), steph wrote:
    >
    > *> i remember there was a way to set up a "virtual screen" which can be
    > *> defined bigger than the physical screen and when you move the mouse
    > *> towards the borders of the physical screen it "moves" over the virtual
    > *> screen. i've added the line "virtual" in xorg.conf, subsection display
    > *> but this didn't to the trick. can anybody give me a hint on how to set
    > *> this up?
    >
    > You have to add the desired resolution, as in
    >
    > * Virtual * 1280 1024
    >
    > If that doesn't work, read the Xorg.0.log. Your graphics or the relevant
    > server may not support the resolution or even virtual screens; for
    > example, recent versions of the intel server don't (only temporarily I
    > hope).
    >
    > Bob T.

    i thought there might be something else to do. i've added this to
    xorg.conf already - but it didn't work. so i'll have to dive into the
    log-file.

    thanks,
    stephan

+ Reply to Thread