Problems with external monitor on laptop - X

This is a discussion on Problems with external monitor on laptop - X ; Hello. I have a Sony Laptop with an ATI radeon graphics card. After updating the xorg radeon driver to 1.4, (by installing kubuntu 8.04), MergeFB is no longer supported (replaced by xrandr), and I got some new problems with external ...

  1. Problems with external monitor on laptop

    Hello.
    I have a Sony Laptop with an ATI radeon graphics card.
    After updating the xorg radeon driver to 1.4, (by installing
    kubuntu 8.04), MergeFB is no longer supported (replaced by xrandr),
    and I got some new problems with external monitor.

    1. When I maximise a window, or run some program in Full-Screen mode,
    it will only use part of the screen.

    2. The part of the laptop screen outside 1024x768 is unreachable (it
    used to pan when I moved the mouse to the border, but it does not do
    that any more).

    3. krandrtray has no 1280x1024 selection, even if the external monitor
    is running that size. I can no longer switch between 1024x768 and
    1280x1024 when attaching/detaching the monitor.

    4. When I close the lid on the laptop, also the external monitor is turned
    off, not only the laptop screen.

    Does anybody know which spells I will have to cast in xorg.conf to
    get X working with an external monitor again. All the above used to work.

    Basicly I just want to use the external monitor when I have connected it,
    ignoring the laptop screen.

    --
    echo 2573598220386708649153854147564528964895403631P|dc

  2. Re: Problems with external monitor on laptop

    Stein Gulbrandsen wrote:
    > Hello.
    > I have a Sony Laptop with an ATI radeon graphics card.
    > After updating the xorg radeon driver to 1.4, (by installing
    > kubuntu 8.04), MergeFB is no longer supported (replaced by xrandr),
    > and I got some new problems with external monitor.

    Gone there seen that myslef.

    > 1. When I maximise a window, or run some program in Full-Screen mode,
    > it will only use part of the screen.
    >
    > 2. The part of the laptop screen outside 1024x768 is unreachable (it
    > used to pan when I moved the mouse to the border, but it does not do
    > that any more).
    >
    > 3. krandrtray has no 1280x1024 selection, even if the external monitor
    > is running that size. I can no longer switch between 1024x768 and
    > 1280x1024 when attaching/detaching the monitor.

    Execpt if you are running kde4, krandrtray does not support xrabdr 1.2.
    Using xrandr inside a terminal you can set the things.

    > Basicly I just want to use the external monitor when I have connected it,
    > ignoring the laptop screen.

    Then disable the laptop screen when docked. You will then be able to set
    the resolution you want. And do not forget to reeanble it before
    undocking...

    -- eric

+ Reply to Thread