Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency - X

This is a discussion on Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency - X ; I've got a problem. My mouse occasionally takes many clicks, if I try to click roll once. This is annoying especially with Firefox. -- Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/ Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta. Please use a XHTML compliant web ...

  1. Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  2. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > My mouse occasionally [produces] many [button press/release combos on
    > button 2]

    Open the mouse up and clean all the crud off the wheel and the
    underlying mechanism.

    --
    Sometimes when I talk to a Windows person about using a Mac,
    I feel like I'm explaining Van Halen to a horse. --Merlin Mann

  3. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    On 30 Aug 2008 11:54:02 GMT
    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Open the mouse up and clean all the crud off the wheel and the
    > underlying mechanism.

    I don't belive that it would help since the mouse has been such from
    the beginning.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  4. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    In article <20080901083204.04ab8f85@laptop>,
    Jarno Suni wrote:
    > On 30 Aug 2008 11:54:02 GMT
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    > > Open the mouse up and clean all the crud off the wheel and the
    > > underlying mechanism.

    > I don't belive that it would help since the mouse has been such from
    > the beginning.

    Might it be that when you're testing it, you press harder/slower than when
    you're just using it, and the mouse button won't engage for fast or gentle
    presses?

    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of
    being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde

  5. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Open the mouse up and clean all the crud off the wheel and the
    >> underlying mechanism.

    > I don't belive that it would help since the mouse has been such from
    > the beginning.

    Whenever I've seen mice emit multiple button events for a single button
    press, it's been due to crud buildup inside the mouse. If your mouse
    has been sending multiple events for 1 button press from the beginning,
    the mouse may be defective. It might be worth it to clean the mouse out
    anyway.

    --
    The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
    major sedatives. --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001

  6. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    Jarno Suni wrote:
    > I've got a problem. My mouse occasionally takes many clicks, if I try
    > to click roll once. This is annoying especially with Firefox.

    Mouse buttons do bounce sometimes. Especially if you have shakey hands.

    I remember when I used to use Microsoft Windows. Sometimes when I
    was selecting files, or even just dragging an application across the
    screen with a folder open in the background, the mouse would bounce and
    before I realised it, masses of data was being deleted from across the network.
    The mouse must have bounced over the "Are you sure that you want do delete all
    files in this directory?" OK button. The problem was made much worse by the
    fact that the graphical interface would lag behind the deletions, so the
    directory would be cleared (the recycle bin does not work over the network),
    then a yellow torch waving backwards and forwards would sit on the screen for
    about 10 to 20 minutes, and then finally an animation would appear to
    show files being deleted. In reality the files had gone quarter of an
    hour before the animation appeared, so clicking the cancel button was
    futile.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  7. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:06:42 -0400
    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > Might it be that when you're testing it, you press harder/slower than when
    > you're just using it, and the mouse button won't engage for fast or gentle
    > presses?

    No, it happens oaacsionally when I am just using it.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  8. Re: Need to limit mouse middle (roll) click frequency

    In article <20080902095339.374e9bab@laptop>,
    Jarno Suni wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:06:42 -0400
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    >
    > > Might it be that when you're testing it, you press harder/slower than when
    > > you're just using it, and the mouse button won't engage for fast or gentle
    > > presses?

    > No, it happens oaacsionally when I am just using it.

    That's what I hypothesize, that when you "just use" the mouse, you
    unconsciously press the button softer and quicker than when you test it,
    and that it's therefore more likely to fail in use (not click or release)
    than in test. Might that be the case? If you retry the failed action
    with extra pressure on the button and deliberate actions, does it work
    pretty much every time?

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

+ Reply to Thread