Ideas for removing ghosts inside my monitor - X

This is a discussion on Ideas for removing ghosts inside my monitor - X ; Hi , I have a problem that seems to only affect linux systems attached to my Gateway FPD2275W monitor ( meaning it isn't a problem for a Mac laptop attached to the same monitor ). All of my lines ( ...

  1. Ideas for removing ghosts inside my monitor

    Hi ,

    I have a problem that seems to only affect linux systems attached to my
    Gateway FPD2275W monitor ( meaning it isn't a problem for a Mac laptop
    attached to the same monitor ).

    All of my lines ( such as the side of a mouse or the edge of a window )
    have a ghost line that is about 5 mm away . What this means is that I
    get a headache after looking at the screen for too long. I actually try
    to do most of my coding in a straight tty terminal ( ctrl-alt-f5 for
    instance) just because the resolution is so much better.

    Here's my configuration and what I've tried

    - Graphics card is a GeForce 7050 PV / Nvidia
    - System is Fedora core 9
    - I'm using the tool "nvidia-settings" to configure some parts of my
    monitor settings.
    - My settings are
    1600x1200 resolution
    Freq = 60Hz
    Input is VGA ( not DVI )

    The following is my xorg.conf file

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "single head configuration"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # keyboard added by rhpxl
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Gateway FPD2275W"
    HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce 7050 PV / NVIDIA nForce 630a"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"

    # Removed Option "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "TwinView" "0"
    Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option "metamodes" "1680x1050_60 +0+0; 1680x1050 +0+0;
    640x480 +0+0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Thanks for any help or ideas anyone might have.

  2. Re: Ideas for removing ghosts inside my monitor

    In article ,
    Jimi Damon wrote:
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have a problem that seems to only affect linux systems attached to my
    > Gateway FPD2275W monitor ( meaning it isn't a problem for a Mac laptop
    > attached to the same monitor ).
    >
    > All of my lines ( such as the side of a mouse or the edge of a window )
    > have a ghost line that is about 5 mm away . What this means is that I
    > get a headache after looking at the screen for too long. I actually try
    > to do most of my coding in a straight tty terminal ( ctrl-alt-f5 for
    > instance) just because the resolution is so much better.
    >
    > Here's my configuration and what I've tried
    >
    > - Graphics card is a GeForce 7050 PV / Nvidia
    > - System is Fedora core 9
    > - I'm using the tool "nvidia-settings" to configure some parts of my
    > monitor settings.
    > - My settings are
    > 1600x1200 resolution
    > Freq = 60Hz
    > Input is VGA ( not DVI )

    Could be caused by reflections in your cable. Maybe you don't see them
    under MacOS because the dotclock it uses is higher or lower than the
    cable's resonant frequency.

    When I had that (on a CRT, 1536x1152 resolution) I fixed it by getting a
    better (more shielding & more insulation -> stiffer & thicker) monitor
    cable. You might also be able to fix it by hand-rolling your mode(line).
    Or by using DVI if available (I'm not familiar with that card).

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic

+ Reply to Thread