Help: Classical WM - X

This is a discussion on Help: Classical WM - X ; Hello, I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more? And I hear about the Open Look is a classical WM ...

  1. Help: Classical WM

    Hello,

    I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just
    know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more?

    And I hear about the Open Look is a classical WM under old Sun OS. Is
    there any Open Look can run on Linux?

    Thank you very much~

    Amy

  2. Re: Help: Classical WM

    Amy Lee writes:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just
    >know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more?

    twm is pretty classic.

    uwm would be even more classic, but is probably hard to find.

    - anton

  3. Re: Help: Classical WM

    Anton Ertl wrote:

    > Amy Lee writes:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just
    >>know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more?

    > twm is pretty classic.
    >
    > uwm would be even more classic, but is probably hard to find.

    A collection of historical window managers is available from
    http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/projec...wmanagers/dev/

    - Huibert.

    --
    Okay... really not something I needed to see. --Raven

  4. Re: Help: Classical WM

    Amy Lee wrote:

    > I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just
    > know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more?

    http://xwinman.org/

    Florian

  5. Re: Help: Classical WM

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:57:19 GMT,
    Anton Ertl , in
    <2008Aug9.155719@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
    > Amy Lee writes:
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I just
    > >know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some more?

    > twm is pretty classic.
    >
    > uwm would be even more classic, but is probably hard to find.

    Not so hard. It's in Debian.

    http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...ll&section=all

    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: Help: Classical WM

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 21:47:45 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to use some classical window manager in UNIX system, however I
    > just know several like fvwm and nextstep. So can any one tell me some
    > more?
    >
    > And I hear about the Open Look is a classical WM under old Sun OS. Is
    > there any Open Look can run on Linux?
    >
    > Thank you very much~
    >
    > Amy

    I used to very much like CDE on the DEC Alpha with Tru64 Unix.
    Unfortunately, it seems to be no longer available. XFCE seems to be a
    little similar.

  7. Re: Help: Classical WM

    I R A Darth Aggie writes:
    >On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:57:19 GMT,
    >Anton Ertl , in
    >> uwm would be even more classic, but is probably hard to find.

    >Not so hard. It's in Debian.
    >
    >http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...ll&section=all

    That's the UDE WM, not the Ultrix WM that was the standard WM
    distributed with X before twm. See
    .

    - anton

  8. Re: Help: Classical WM

    I use fluxbox (fluxbox.sourceforge.net) on Linux, and I like it very
    much. It's no `classic` in sense of age, but it's only WM with many nice
    features, not high hardware requirements and easy to configure via
    editing plain text configuration files.

+ Reply to Thread