debian 4.0 X does not start after installation - X

This is a discussion on debian 4.0 X does not start after installation - X ; In the log file the last message is (EE) Device not present (or something like this) It seems that auto configuration did not work. How can I configure manually my X windows system? is there a command such as x-config ...

  1. debian 4.0 X does not start after installation

    In the log file the last message is

    (EE) Device not present
    (or something like this)

    It seems that auto configuration did not
    work.

    How can I configure manually my X windows
    system? is there a command such as x-config
    or something like this?

    maitre Aliboron

  2. Re: debian 4.0 X does not start after installation

    maitre Aliboron a écrit :
    > In the log file the last message is
    >
    > (EE) Device not present
    > (or something like this)
    >
    > It seems that auto configuration did not
    > work.
    >
    > How can I configure manually my X windows
    > system? is there a command such as x-config
    > or something like this?

    dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

  3. Re: debian 4.0 X does not start after installation

    "maitre Aliboron" writes:
    >In the log file the last message is
    >
    >(EE) Device not present
    >(or something like this)

    That's very little for us to work with, but still I'll make a guess:

    I have seen such things several times with Debian when using Radeon
    (R200-R4xx) cards. The solution was to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    generated by Debian; without the broken xorg.conf file the X server
    autoconfigured itself nicely and correctly.

    >How can I configure manually my X windows
    >system?

    emacs /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    - anton