Control+Backspace - X

This is a discussion on Control+Backspace - X ; Hello all, I'd like to map the Control+Backspace key to the "delete the previous word" function within xterm. How do I go about doing this? I have access to 2 servers: in one of them the Ctrl+Backspace key works as ...

  1. Control+Backspace

    Hello all,

    I'd like to map the Control+Backspace key to the "delete the previous
    word" function within xterm. How do I go about doing this? I have
    access to 2 servers: in one of them the Ctrl+Backspace key works as
    needed and in another it doesn't. I was trying to figure out what
    difference between the two settings might be causing this, but I
    couldn't. Does someone have a pointer?

    Thanks,
    G.Sibi

  2. Re: Control+Backspace

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:27:46 -0700 (PDT), Sibi wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'd like to map the Control+Backspace key to the "delete the previous
    > word" function within xterm. How do I go about doing this? I have
    > access to 2 servers: in one of them the Ctrl+Backspace key works as
    > needed and in another it doesn't. I was trying to figure out what
    > difference between the two settings might be causing this, but I
    > couldn't. Does someone have a pointer?

    Your environment variable VISUAL may influence your command line editing.
    export VISUAL=emacs
    export VISUAL=vi

    You can do a xrdb -query > srv.1
    and on the other xrdb -query > srv.2
    to get copies to check the differences.

    You can put your custom settings in
    ~/.Xresources or in
    ~/.Xdefaults

    Snippet from my .Xresources
    xterm.VT100.translations: #override\
    F1:string(0x1b) string("OP") \n \
    F2:string(0x1b) string("OQ") \n \
    F3:string(0x1b) string("OR") \n \
    F4:string(0x1b) string("OS") \n \
    F5:string(0x1b) string("") \n \
    F6:string(0x1b) string("[17~") \n \
    F7:string(0x1b) string("[18~") \n \
    F8:string(0x1b) string("[19~") \n \
    F9:string(0x1b) string("[20~") \n \
    F10:string(0x1b) string("[21~") \n \
    F11:string(0x1b) string("[23~") \n \
    F12:string(0x1b) string("[24~") \n \
    KP_Enter:string(0x1b) string("OM") \n \
    KP_Decimal:string(0x1b) string("On") \n \
    KP_Add:string(0x1b) string("Ol") \n \
    KP_Subtract:string(0x1b) string("Om") \n \
    KP_0:string(0x1b) string("Op") \n \
    KP_1:string(0x1b) string("Oq") \n \
    KP_2:string(0x1b) string("Or") \n \
    KP_3:string(0x1b) string("Os") \n \
    KP_4:string(0x1b) string("Ot") \n \
    KP_5:string(0x1b) string("Ou") \n \
    KP_6:string(0x1b) string("Ov") \n \
    KP_7:string(0x1b) string("Ow") \n \
    KP_8:string(0x1b) string("Ox") \n \
    KP_9:string(0x1b) string("Oy") \n \
    Home:string(0x1b) string("[1~") \n \
    Insert:string(0x1b) string("[2~") \n \
    Delete:string(0x7f) \n \
    End:string(0x1b) string("[4~") \n \
    Prior:string(0x1b) string("[5~") \n \
    Next:string(0x1b) string("[6~") \n \
    : select-start() \n\
    : select-extend() \n\
    : select-end(PRIMARY,CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
    BackSpace:string(0x7f) \n\
    Select: select-start() \n\
    Button1: select-end(CLIPBOARD) \n\
    Button1: ignore()
    !!

  3. Re: Control+Backspace

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:27:46 -0700 (PDT), Sibi wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I'd like to map the Control+Backspace key to the "delete the previous
    >> word" function within xterm. How do I go about doing this? I have
    >> access to 2 servers: in one of them the Ctrl+Backspace key works as
    >> needed and in another it doesn't. I was trying to figure out what
    >> difference between the two settings might be causing this, but I
    >> couldn't. Does someone have a pointer?

    > Your environment variable VISUAL may influence your command line editing.
    > export VISUAL=emacs
    > export VISUAL=vi

    No. $VISUAL specifies the editor to use for some programs, similar to
    $EDITOR.

    I guess to mean set -o [emacs|vi]

    Florian