Where is the user's preferred session (GNOME, Xfce) stored? - X

This is a discussion on Where is the user's preferred session (GNOME, Xfce) stored? - X ; The OS in question is Ubuntu. I want to know how I can set my preferred session programmatically. -- Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating ...

  1. Where is the user's preferred session (GNOME, Xfce) stored?

    The OS in question is Ubuntu. I want to know how I can set my
    preferred session programmatically.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Where is the user's preferred session (GNOME, Xfce) stored?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    Ignoramus17861 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [In] Ubuntu, I want to know how I can set my preferred session
    > programmatically.

    AFAICT from looking at Gentoo and Redhat, the standard is to keep that
    information in ~/.dmrc . That file contains:

    [Desktop]
    Session=kde-3.5

    ....in Gentoo, with Session=default in Redhat. It should be trivial to
    run sed on that file at any time and change the default session to
    whatever you want.

    --
    Stupidity got us into this mess--why can't it get us out?
    My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/

  3. Re: Where is the user's preferred session (GNOME, Xfce) stored?

    On 2008-05-13, Dances With Crows wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    > Ignoramus17861 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> [In] Ubuntu, I want to know how I can set my preferred session
    >> programmatically.

    > AFAICT from looking at Gentoo and Redhat, the standard is to keep that
    > information in ~/.dmrc . That file contains:
    >
    > [Desktop]
    > Session=kde-3.5
    >
    > ...in Gentoo, with Session=default in Redhat. It should be trivial to
    > run sed on that file at any time and change the default session to
    > whatever you want.

    Yes, this is it. Thanks a lot.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/