vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead - X

This is a discussion on vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead - X ; I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to *share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show a ...

  1. vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux

    The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    *share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show
    a friend how to do something or vice-versa, he could simply browse to
    my VNC, and both parties will be looking at the *same display*, and
    both can (take turns to) input.

    I have tried searching on forums and groups how to do the same in
    Linux.

    The general solution suggested is to start vncserver on linux using
    the following command:
    vncserver -alwaysshared

    To be doubly sure, that client settings are not overriding this
    sharing behaviour
    And when starting the vncviewer (either on a windows or on another
    linux machine ), use -shared option (or set it in the Options window)

    I have tried all this, and it doesnt work.

    Is my xstartup file an issue. Please have a look:
    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    startkde &

    If I do ps ax|grep vnc on the linux box where vncserver is running, I
    get

    ps ax|grep vnc

    6496 ? S 0:00 Xvnc :1 -desktop dhcp-hyd-phase2-ground-
    floor-10-176-83-160.idc.oracle.com:1 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/
    classes -auth /tmp/.gdmNPMJAU -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait
    30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -pn
    15889 pts/5 S 0:00 Xvnc :2 -desktop dhcp-hyd-phase2-ground-
    floor-10-176-83-160.idc.oracle.com:2 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/
    classes -auth /tmp/.gdmNPMJAU -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait
    30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5902 -pn -alwaysshared
    16197 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep vnc

    This tells me if I connect to 10.176.83.160:2 then I will get shared
    access.

    Please help me...

    Thanks,

    John

  2. Re: vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    jstein.soa@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    > *share* control of a single desktop. I have tried searching on forums
    > and groups how to do the same in Linux.

    You haven't searched very well. x11vnc or KDE Desktop Sharing or
    RFBDrake or vino (gino?) are things that do what you say you want.

    > vncserver -alwaysshared

    vncserver was not designed to do what you said you want.

    > 6496 ? S 0:00 Xvnc :1

    The :1 here should've clued you in.

    --
    Dilbert: Not more than ten minutes ago you beat a man senseless.
    Alice: He was senseless before I beat him.

  3. Re: vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    jstein.soa@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux
    >
    > The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    > *share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show
    > a friend how to do something or vice-versa, he could simply browse to
    > my VNC, and both parties will be looking at the *same display*, and
    > both can (take turns to) input.
    >
    > I have tried searching on forums and groups how to do the same in
    > Linux.
    >
    > The general solution suggested is to start vncserver on linux using
    > the following command:
    > vncserver -alwaysshared
    >
    > To be doubly sure, that client settings are not overriding this
    > sharing behaviour
    > And when starting the vncviewer (either on a windows or on another
    > linux machine ), use -shared option (or set it in the Options window)
    >
    > I have tried all this, and it doesnt work.

    > Please help me...

    You can probably use the code from the xf4vnc project. That project has
    a few X11 loadable modules that can be used to provide a vnc server for
    a normal X11 session.
    http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/doc.html#vncso

    I use xf4vnc without any problems, though I build and use it for
    different reasons -- specifically: I wanted GLX and other X extension
    support beyond what tightvnc offers.

    This has the full build instructions:
    http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/modular.html

    I opted not to do "make install" for the xserver, and instead just
    manually copied, because I didn't want to overwrite my installation.

    George

+ Reply to Thread