Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen? - X

This is a discussion on Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen? - X ; On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:57:58 -0500, Ignoramus15242 wrote: > I have a Acer 9300 laptop. It runs ubuntu Hardy just fine. Today I tried > installing NVidia proprietary driver to run compiz. > Recommend editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to add: blacklist ...

  1. Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen?

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:57:58 -0500, Ignoramus15242 wrote:

    > I have a Acer 9300 laptop. It runs ubuntu Hardy just fine. Today I tried
    > installing NVidia proprietary driver to run compiz.

    Recommend editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to add:

    blacklist nv
    blacklist nvidia_legacy
    blacklist nvidia_new

    Rerun the setup then reboot since this changes what drivers are loaded.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  2. Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:59:09 +0000, jebblue wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:57:58 -0500, Ignoramus15242 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Acer 9300 laptop. It runs ubuntu Hardy just fine. Today I
    >> tried installing NVidia proprietary driver to run compiz.
    >>

    > Recommend editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to add:
    >
    > blacklist nv
    > blacklist nvidia_legacy
    > blacklist nvidia_new
    >
    > Rerun the setup then reboot since this changes what drivers are loaded.

    Oh, and go into Synaptic and make sure nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new
    are not installed. And in Restricted Drivers Manager makes sure nVidia
    is enabled.

    Those are things to do - I can't recall the order but it works for me.
    Good luck.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  3. Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen?

    On 2008-04-19, jebblue wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:57:58 -0500, Ignoramus15242 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Acer 9300 laptop. It runs ubuntu Hardy just fine. Today I tried
    >> installing NVidia proprietary driver to run compiz.
    >>

    > Recommend editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to add:
    >
    > blacklist nv
    > blacklist nvidia_legacy
    > blacklist nvidia_new
    >
    > Rerun the setup then reboot since this changes what drivers are loaded.

    I am sorry, I do not understand. Are you suggesting that, after
    switching to priorietary drivers, I need to blacklist the above
    and reboot for the blacklist to take effect?

    Are you expecting this to cure this problem?

    Any clues as to what is behind the scenes here?

    thanks

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: NVidia proprietary drivers lock screen?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:33:13 -0500,
    Ignoramus11166 , in
    wrote:
    >+ On 2008-04-19, jebblue wrote:
    >+ > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:57:58 -0500, Ignoramus15242 wrote:
    >+ >
    >+ >> I have a Acer 9300 laptop. It runs ubuntu Hardy just fine. Today I tried
    >+ >> installing NVidia proprietary driver to run compiz.
    >+ >>
    >+ >
    >+ > Recommend editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to add:
    >+ >
    >+ > blacklist nv
    >+ > blacklist nvidia_legacy
    >+ > blacklist nvidia_new
    >+ >
    >+ > Rerun the setup then reboot since this changes what drivers are loaded.
    >+ >
    >+
    >+ I am sorry, I do not understand. Are you suggesting that, after
    >+ switching to priorietary drivers, I need to blacklist the above
    >+ and reboot for the blacklist to take effect?

    Yes.

    >+ Are you expecting this to cure this problem?

    Allegedly, it does.

    >+ Any clues as to what is behind the scenes here?

    According to my understanding, it is mostly because the nVidia drivers
    aren't happy campers when it comes to waking up from hibernation and
    the like.

    One big honking drawback with using closed-source proprietary drivers.

    isn't looking good, either.