Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine - X

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine - X ; This is a continuation of my effort to find out why there was an unexplainable 30+ second delay after logging on into Ubuntu hardy. I did a lot of experimenting. The post-logon 30+ second delay occurs upon first logon only. ...

  1. Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine

    This is a continuation of my effort to find out why there was an
    unexplainable 30+ second delay after logging on into Ubuntu hardy.

    I did a lot of experimenting. The post-logon 30+ second delay occurs
    upon first logon only. It also occurs if I disable automatic logon and
    wait a few minutes before logging on manually. If I log off and
    re-logon, it does not occur.

    I removed quite a few things from gnome-session, and it did not
    help. I put them all back.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    Ignoramus29232 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > This is a continuation of my effort to find out why there was an
    > unexplainable 30+ second delay after logging on into Ubuntu hardy.
    >
    > I did a lot of experimenting. The post-logon 30+ second delay occurs
    > upon first logon only. It also occurs if I disable automatic logon and
    > wait a few minutes before logging on manually. If I log off and
    > re-logon, it does not occur.

    30 seconds is suspiciously similar to the default DNS timeout. If you
    have a reference to "localhost" anywhere in anything that starts up, and
    you don't have a "127.0.0.1 localhost" line in /etc/hosts, you could see
    that. Years ago, sendmail was notorious for delaying bootup on machines
    that were not always network-attached for this reason. You said you
    were running apache, so make sure that ServerName is resolvable even if
    the machine isn't hooked to a network. (Make sure to add another
    /etc/hosts line for crud.example.org if that's what you're using, in
    other words.)

    --
    People don't tend to get paid.
    --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file

  3. Re: Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine

    On 2008-04-17, Dances With Crows wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    > Ignoramus29232 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> This is a continuation of my effort to find out why there was an
    >> unexplainable 30+ second delay after logging on into Ubuntu hardy.
    >>
    >> I did a lot of experimenting. The post-logon 30+ second delay occurs
    >> upon first logon only. It also occurs if I disable automatic logon and
    >> wait a few minutes before logging on manually. If I log off and
    >> re-logon, it does not occur.

    > 30 seconds is suspiciously similar to the default DNS timeout. If you
    > have a reference to "localhost" anywhere in anything that starts up, and
    > you don't have a "127.0.0.1 localhost" line in /etc/hosts, you could see
    > that.

    I do have such an entry in /etc/hosts.

    ::~/Desktop==>cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.net-boot.org

    > Years ago, sendmail was notorious for delaying bootup on machines
    > that were not always network-attached for this reason.

    Tell me about it! Drove me bonkers!

    > You said you were running apache, so make sure that ServerName is
    > resolvable even if the machine isn't hooked to a network. (Make
    > sure to add another /etc/hosts line for crud.example.org if that's
    > what you're using, in other words.)

    You see, this problem can occur minutes after a system boot, if I
    choose to wait with logging on to try this out. Apache cannot be at
    fault here.

  4. Re: Ubuntu Hardy boots slower on fast machine