How can I test a supposed x font server? - X

This is a discussion on How can I test a supposed x font server? - X ; I have a machine in my lan which supposedly is running an x font server (xfs), and in fact: # service xfs status xfs (pid 6661) is running... and: ]# netstat -an | grep 7100 tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:7100 0.0.0.0:* ...

  1. How can I test a supposed x font server?

    I have a machine in my lan which supposedly is running an
    x font server (xfs), and in fact:
    # service xfs status
    xfs (pid 6661) is running...
    and:
    ]# netstat -an | grep 7100
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:7100 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 6272 /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
    (I squeezed out some blanks in the lines above).

    Also, iptables allows incoming/outgoing on the port.

    So it seems to be running and listening.

    From another linux machine in my lan, how can I test whether
    the server is working properly? Whether it's allowing connections
    and serving fonts correctly?

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  2. Re: How can I test a supposed x font server?

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:16:14 +0000 (UTC),
    Dale Dellutri , in
    wrote:

    >+ From another linux machine in my lan, how can I test whether
    >+ the server is working properly? Whether it's allowing connections
    >+ and serving fonts correctly?

    man xlsfonts

    NAME
    xlsfonts - server font list displayer for X

    if you run that on both the xfs server and a client, you should get
    the same list of fonts, and if you disconnect the client from the
    network, you should get a shorter list of fonts.

    As far as I know, that is.

    isn't looking good, either.