Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something - X

This is a discussion on Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something - X ; About a week or so ago, my laptop running Hardy, started having an unexplainable 30 second or so delay during boot. I have it set to automatically log me in without asking for password. That is secure, since I have ...

  1. Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something

    About a week or so ago, my laptop running Hardy, started having an
    unexplainable 30 second or so delay during boot.

    I have it set to automatically log me in without asking for
    password. That is secure, since I have the entire disk protected by
    LUKS AES encryption and I enter a password early during boot to unlock
    the disk.

    Anyway, the system boots promptly, up to the point of switching into
    my account and showing an arrow mouse pointer (instead of a round
    pointer indicating "wait").

    At that point, it is stuck -- not frozen but not showing anything
    usable -- for about 30 seconds. The mouse moves, the computer is
    totally responsive, I can ssh to it during this time, but the screen
    is black with the only exception of the mouse pointer.

    My own hypothesis is that X is waiting on some part of the boot
    process to finish before proceeding with giving me a valid session. I
    have a few services that are not always installed on a laptop, such as
    ntpd, apache and mysql and maybe something else.

  2. Re: Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something

    Ignoramus12441 wrote:

    > My own hypothesis is that X is waiting on some part of the boot
    > process to finish before proceeding with giving me a valid session. I
    > have a few services that are not always installed on a laptop, such as
    > ntpd, apache and mysql and maybe something else.

    Let's assume your hypothesis is correct.
    Then you might want to try setting 'CONCURRENCY=shell' in your
    /etc/init.d/rc

    this tells upstart to start scripts that do not end in '.sh' in a
    parallel fashion. So even IF some service is delaying the whole lot, it
    should be waiting in the background while the rest continues.

    Ofcourse, this does not apply if the evil script should end in '.sh'.
    (do not try to rename it, if it's the case, because '.sh' scripts handle
    their exit stuff differently.)

    -R-

  3. Re: Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something

    On 2008-04-21, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Ignoramus12441 wrote:
    >>
    >> My own hypothesis is that X is waiting on some part of the boot
    >> process to finish before proceeding with giving me a valid session. I
    >> have a few services that are not always installed on a laptop, such as
    >> ntpd, apache and mysql and maybe something else.

    > Let's assume your hypothesis is correct.

    It is not, as I find out. Even if I wait 5 minutes until logging in,
    it is still takes about 1 minutes with a black screen and mouse
    pointer, before my screen loads.

    > Then you might want to try setting 'CONCURRENCY=shell' in your
    > /etc/init.d/rc
    >
    > this tells upstart to start scripts that do not end in '.sh' in a
    > parallel fashion. So even IF some service is delaying the whole lot, it
    > should be waiting in the background while the rest continues.
    >
    > Ofcourse, this does not apply if the evil script should end in '.sh'.
    > (do not try to rename it, if it's the case, because '.sh' scripts handle
    > their exit stuff differently.)
    >
    > -R-

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something

    Ignoramus4289 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-21, Jurgen Haan wrote:

    Ah.. well then, at the risk of going off-topic: you can still use the
    described technique to speed up booting.

    >>> i