is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard, mouse ormonitor? - X

This is a discussion on is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard, mouse ormonitor? - X ; csplayer a écrit : > hi, > My linux server, a Debian, has no keyboard, mouse or monitor. > I always use it by ssh console. > But now a GUI application needs to run on this server, as a ...

  1. Re: is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard,mouse or monitor?

    csplayer a écrit :
    > hi,
    > My linux server, a Debian, has no keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    > I always use it by ssh console.
    > But now a GUI application needs to run on this server, as a deamon.
    >
    > I did these:
    > #apt-get install xwindow-system-core
    > #apt-get install xdm
    >
    > I dont know how to config the xorg.conf to make X run on this server .
    > Neither i am sure whether xdm needs a running X.

    You don't need to : just configure xdm to accept XDMCP request from
    remote X servers.

    BTW, you don't need to run a whole desktop on this host, only one
    application, right ? Why don't you connect to it by ssh -X (X11 ssh
    forwarding) then run this app ?

  2. is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard, mouse ormonitor?

    hi,
    My linux server, a Debian, has no keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    I always use it by ssh console.
    But now a GUI application needs to run on this server, as a deamon.

    I did these:
    #apt-get install xwindow-system-core
    #apt-get install xdm

    I dont know how to config the xorg.conf to make X run on this server .
    Neither i am sure whether xdm needs a running X.

    anyone help me?
    Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard, mouse or monitor?

    YBM staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > csplayer wrote:
    >> My Debian [server] has no keyboard, mouse or monitor. But now a GUI
    >> application needs to run on this server, as a [daemon].

    If something needs X, it totally doesn't fit the classical definition of
    a daemon. What is the name of the program you're running?

    >> #apt-get install xwindow-system-core xdm
    >> I dont know how to [set up] xorg.conf to make X run on this server.

    > You don't need to : just configure xdm to accept XDMCP request from
    > remote X servers.

    Why drag xdm into this?

    > BTW, you don't need to run a whole desktop on this host, only one
    > application, right? Why don't you connect to it by ssh -X, then run
    > this app?

    This is probably the wrong approach. When you sit at machine1 and ssh
    -X to machine2, the X clients you start on machine2 have their Display
    set to localhost:10, which is forwarded to machine1. If the ssh process
    dies or machine2 fails, then the X clients running on machine1 will have
    a cow and fall over. This is undesirable for obvious reasons. So, a
    better approach might be to start Xvfb on machine1, then direct the X
    client you need to use the Xvfb as its Display. Whether this will work
    properly or not depends on whether the X client requires actual X input
    or not. You have not made this clear--please do that.

    --
    "Dreams? Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
    --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King

  4. Re: is it possible running X on a linux server without keyboard,mouse or monitor?

    csplayer wrote:
    > hi,
    > My linux server, a Debian, has no keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    > I always use it by ssh console.
    > But now a GUI application needs to run on this server, as a deamon.

    Do you need to see output from it?

    If not, you don't need any desktop manager like XDM.
    Try using a default X config with PS2 keyb and mouse. (dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver or something like that) Should be able to run even without them
    plugged in. Furthermore, try using XVFB to create a virtual framebuffer
    X session.

    Then you can start an X program inside that virtual X session.

    If you DO need to see output, well... Then it'll be a whole different story.

    > I did these:
    > #apt-get install xwindow-system-core
    > #apt-get install xdm
    >
    > I dont know how to config the xorg.conf to make X run on this server .
    > Neither i am sure whether xdm needs a running X.
    >
    > anyone help me?
    > Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread