Script to replace totem with mplayer - X

This is a discussion on Script to replace totem with mplayer - X ; Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia. I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s, and simply decided, I ...

  1. Script to replace totem with mplayer

    Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is
    coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia.

    I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s,
    and simply decided, I want to run mplayer when the OS requests
    totem. Hence this script, that I run as part of my night cron job.

    echo ================================================== ================ totem
    if test -e /usr/bin/mplayer && test -e /usr/bin/totem \
    && test `md5sum /usr/bin/totem|awk '{print $1}'` != `md5sum /usr/bin/mplayer|awk '{print $1}'`; then
    mv /usr/bin/totem /usr/bin/UBUNTU.totem
    ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem
    else
    echo Totem already replaced with mplayer. Good.
    fi

  2. Re: Script to replace totem with mplayer

    Ignoramus18496 wrote:

    > Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is
    > coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia.
    >
    > I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s,
    > and simply decided, I want to run mplayer when the OS requests
    > totem. Hence this script, that I run as part of my night cron job.
    >

    > echo ================================================== ================
    > totem if test -e /usr/bin/mplayer && test -e /usr/bin/totem \
    > && test `md5sum /usr/bin/totem|awk '{print $1}'` != `md5sum
    > /usr/bin/mplayer|awk '{print $1}'`; then mv /usr/bin/totem
    > /usr/bin/UBUNTU.totem ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem
    > else
    > echo Totem already replaced with mplayer. Good.
    > fi

    System --> Preferred applications --> Multimedia

  3. Re: Script to replace totem with mplayer

    Cork Soaker :
    > Ignoramus18496 wrote:
    > >
    > > Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is
    > > coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia.
    > >
    > > I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s,
    > > and simply decided, I want to run mplayer when the OS requests
    > > totem. Hence this script, that I run as part of my night cron job.
    > >
    > > echo ================================================== ================
    > > totem if test -e /usr/bin/mplayer && test -e /usr/bin/totem \
    > > && test `md5sum /usr/bin/totem|awk '{print $1}'` != `md5sum
    > > /usr/bin/mplayer|awk '{print $1}'`; then mv /usr/bin/totem
    > > /usr/bin/UBUNTU.totem ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem
    > > else
    > > echo Totem already replaced with mplayer. Good.
    > > fi

    > System --> Preferred applications --> Multimedia

    That appears not to exist in my fluxbox menus. :-) Debian Etch, home
    built.

  4. Re: Script to replace totem with mplayer

    Ignoramus18496 wrote:
    > Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is
    > coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia.
    >
    > I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s,
    > and simply decided, I want to run mplayer when the OS requests
    > totem. Hence this script, that I run as part of my night cron job.
    >

    > echo ================================================== ================ totem
    > if test -e /usr/bin/mplayer && test -e /usr/bin/totem \
    > && test `md5sum /usr/bin/totem|awk '{print $1}'` != `md5sum /usr/bin/mplayer|awk '{print $1}'`; then
    > mv /usr/bin/totem /usr/bin/UBUNTU.totem
    > ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem
    > else
    > echo Totem already replaced with mplayer. Good.
    > fi

    Might aswell replace that with 'rm /usr/bin/totem && ln -s
    /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem'

    Still one hell of an ugly way to solve a problem. :P

  5. Re: Script to replace totem with mplayer

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:12:09 +0200,
    Jurgen Haan , in
    <47f62925$0$14344$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> wrote:
    >+ Ignoramus18496 wrote:
    >+ > Perhaps you, like me, prefer mplayer to totem. And yet this totem is
    >+ > coded all over the place as a default handler for multimedia.
    >+ >
    >+ > I grew tired of right clicking on "file properties" and other ****s,
    >+ > and simply decided, I want to run mplayer when the OS requests
    >+ > totem. Hence this script, that I run as part of my night cron job.

    *snip!*

    >+ Might aswell replace that with 'rm /usr/bin/totem && ln -s
    >+ /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/totem'
    >+
    >+ Still one hell of an ugly way to solve a problem. :P

    Yea, especially since Ubuntu is derived from Debian, and Debian has
    the notion of "alternatives" which addresses this issue.

    The OP should consult the man page for "update-alternatives"

    isn't looking good, either.