    the greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.

    http://magicgarden.sourceforge.net/?q=node/146

  2. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    On 2008-04-01, Jacek Popławski wrote:

    > We all have heard about Compiz Fusion.

    I've never heard about it.

    > We all have seen rotating cube on youtube.

    I've never seen it.

    > But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover
    > the greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.
    >
    > http://magicgarden.sourceforge.net/?q=node/146

    If that's the "greatest linux myth ever" I'm disappointed. Do linux
    users really care about it?

    I don't.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    Jacek Popławski wrote:
    > We all have heard about Compiz Fusion. We all have seen rotating cube on
    > youtube. But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover
    > the greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.
    >
    > http://magicgarden.sourceforge.net/?q=node/146

    Lol

    Where would the internet be without trolls and clowns.
    Thanks.. I needed a laugh to start the day.

  4. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:03:39 +0200, Jacek Popławski wrote:

    > We all have heard about Compiz Fusion. We all have seen rotating cube on
    > youtube. But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover
    > the greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.
    >
    > http://magicgarden.sourceforge.net/?q=node/146

    Except for one small detail: I've successfully used it on several machines
    for a year or two now - though I turned it off after ascertaining that it
    did indeed work - I don't see a use for it yet.

  5. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    ray staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:03:39 +0200, Jacek Pop?awski wrote:
    >> But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover the
    >> greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.

    > Except for one small detail: I've successfully used it on several
    > machines for a year or two now.

    Yep, I've had it running on laptop and desktop since August 2007. The
    OP is spouting bull****, and anyone who does even a tiny bit of research
    will find that out. (But who has time to do even a tiny bit of
    research? It's just easier to accept what random people tell you!) He's
    either trolling or trying to drive traffic to the URL I elided.

    > though I turned it off after ascertaining that it did indeed work - I
    > don't see a use for it yet.

    The main use for compiz-fusion right now is to get people to say, "wow,
    that looks cool". I could see the "annotate" plugin being useful. If
    you look up Message-ID 44b270b8$0$1211$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be , you can
    see at least one person who wanted to be able to do the things that
    "annotate" can do.

    --
    No man is an island, but then no man is a potato salad, either.
    My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/

  6. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:46:16 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > ray staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:03:39 +0200, Jacek Pop?awski wrote:
    >>> But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover the
    >>> greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.

    >> Except for one small detail: I've successfully used it on several
    >> machines for a year or two now.

    > Yep, I've had it running on laptop and desktop since August 2007. The
    > OP is spouting bull****, and anyone who does even a tiny bit of research
    > will find that out. (But who has time to do even a tiny bit of
    > research? It's just easier to accept what random people tell you!) He's
    > either trolling or trying to drive traffic to the URL I elided.
    >
    >> though I turned it off after ascertaining that it did indeed work - I
    >> don't see a use for it yet.

    > The main use for compiz-fusion right now is to get people to say, "wow,
    > that looks cool". I could see the "annotate" plugin being useful. If
    > you look up Message-ID 44b270b8$0$1211$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be , you can
    > see at least one person who wanted to be able to do the things that
    > "annotate" can do.

    It may well turn out like the whole 'gui' thing. At first folks could not
    see significant advantages - now can't live without it.

  7. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    ray staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:46:16 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    [snippage]
    >> The main use for compiz-fusion right now is to get people to say,
    >> "wow, that looks cool". I could see the "annotate" plugin being
    >> useful. If you look up Message-ID
    >> 44b270b8$0$1211$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be , you can see at least one
    >> person who wanted to be able to do the things that "annotate" can do.

    > It may well turn out like the whole 'gui' thing. At first folks could
    > not see significant advantages - now [they] can't live without it.

    The thing is that compiz-fusion doesn't currently provide much that a
    regular non-compositing non-3D WM couldn't do. The only really useful
    things that I've seen compiz-fusion do involve the annotate plugin (draw
    things on screen with mouse) and possibly the scale plugin (zoom all
    active windows so they all fit on screen at once, click one and it
    returns to its normal size and activates). Maybe the zoom and enhanced
    zoom plugins would be useful for people with bad eyesight. Everything
    else is eye candy.

    I wonder whether the plugin developers have taken the eye candy idea to
    the logical extreme. They could have a plugin that displays random
    images from the user's preference in porn alongside the {top, bottom,
    sides} of the active window, changing the images every N seconds.
    That'd be *silly*, but I think people would run that plugin.

    There might be a way to use 3D to overcome the airplane-seat problem
    many users have. (~15 applications open, there's not enough space on
    the Display to display them all at once, so people forget apps or forget
    to look at some apps.) I haven't seen a compelling demonstration that
    this can be done in the general case. People just have bad interrupt
    handling, too little RAM, and short attention spa---Oh look, a puppy!

    --
    The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in
    late and owns the worm farm. --Travis McGee

  8. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:03:39 +0200, Jacek Popławski wrote:
    >
    > > We all have heard about Compiz Fusion. We all have seen rotating cube on
    > > youtube. But it's time to tell the world a truth. It's time to uncover
    > > the greatest Linux myth ever. The Compiz Fusion is a fake.
    > >
    > > http://magicgarden.sourceforge.net/?q=node/146

    > Except for one small detail: I've successfully used it on several machines
    > for a year or two now - though I turned it off after ascertaining that it
    > did indeed work - I don't see a use for it yet.

    Please review the date of the OP.

  9. Re: Compiz Fusion - the greatest Linux myth ever

    On 2 Apr 2008 17:55:12 GMT
    Dances With Crows wrote:

    [...]
    > There might be a way to use 3D to overcome the airplane-seat problem
    > many users have. (~15 applications open, there's not enough space on
    > the Display to display them all at once, so people forget apps or forget
    > to look at some apps.) I haven't seen a compelling demonstration that
    > this can be done in the general case. People just have bad interrupt
    > handling, too little RAM, and short attention spa---Oh look, a puppy!

    LOL! Thank you for the laugh. That is as good as ... OOOooo! Shiny!

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

+ Reply to Thread