image viewers - X

This is a discussion on image viewers - X ; Has anyone got feh 1.3.4 or gimv 0.2.27 to read from stdin? Failing that, can you recommend an image viewer that does? xv did it back in the day, but I don't know that it's portable enough. The closest I've ...

  1. image viewers

    Has anyone got feh 1.3.4 or gimv 0.2.27 to read from stdin? Failing
    that, can you recommend an image viewer that does? xv did it back in
    the day, but I don't know that it's portable enough.

    The closest I've gotten is

    feh /proc/self/fd/0 < $FILE
    or
    gimv -e /proc/self/fd/0 < $FILE

    but what I really want is

    .... | feh $OPTIONS

    or similar. I tried

    .... > $PIPE & feh $PIPE

    and

    .... > $PIPE & feh /proc/self/fd/0 < $PIPE

    but those failed with the usual errors:

    [2] 19770
    feh - No loadable images specified.
    Use feh --help for detailed usage information

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

  2. Re: image viewers

    Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Has anyone got feh 1.3.4 or gimv 0.2.27 to read from stdin? Failing
    > that, can you recommend an image viewer that does?

    There is no way to make a generalized image viewer that reads from
    stdin. Take a look at the TIFF spec sometime. There, the first 8 bytes
    contain an offset to the TIFF directory. libtiff must seek() to that
    offset. This fails miserably since stdin is not guaranteed to be
    seek()able. So, you need to specify the image formats you're interested
    in reading. Or just use temp files. The latter is probably the easiest
    and smartest thing to do.

    --
    Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.