x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work - X

This is a discussion on x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work - X ; HI I use TightVNC Viewer 1.3.9 for Windows XP SP2 and I connect, remotely, on a Server GNU/Linux Debian Lenny Testing that has x11vnc Server. Through an Shell SSH, I start the server x11vnc with the command /usr/ bin/x11vnc -rfbport ...

  1. x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    HI

    I use TightVNC Viewer 1.3.9 for Windows XP SP2 and I connect,
    remotely, on a Server GNU/Linux Debian Lenny Testing that has x11vnc
    Server.

    Through an Shell SSH, I start the server x11vnc with the command /usr/
    bin/x11vnc -rfbport 5901 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -create -capslock -
    forever -logfile x11vnc.log -bg

    So, I load TightVNC and I see the X display on the machine Windows.

    Now, from the X terminal, I load GNOME using the command gnome-session
    and know that all the SHIFT key and the CapsLook key does not work
    anymore.

    Why?

    THANKS

    BYE

  2. Re: x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    What happens when you don't use "-capslock" (and make sure to restart
    the Xserver on the x11vnc side)? Do you imply that before you type
    "gnome-session" in the X terminal the Shift key works properly?

  3. Re: x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    On 26 Mar, 13:30, goog...@karlrunge.com wrote:
    > What happens when you don't use "-capslock" (and make sure to restart
    > the Xserver on the x11vnc side)? *Do you imply that before you type
    > "gnome-session" in the X terminal the Shift key works properly?

    Even if I do not put the option -capslock, does not change anything.

    Before uploading GNOME, the SHIFT keys - Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Windows
    keys - and the CapsLock key function properly.

    So, what's not working?

  4. Re: x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    What happens if you disconnect the VNC viewer, leaving the gnome-
    session
    still running, and the restart x11vnc and reconnect? I'm wondering if
    GNOME
    changes the keymapping when it starts and x11vnc doesn't notice.

    You can run x11vnc with the '-dk' for keyboard debugging printout.
    Twice
    for even more output. Do you see x11vnc processing the Shift key
    followed by the letter key without any warning messages, etc.?

    If you run the xev program in a terminal in the remote X session, you
    can
    observe which key events make it to the X server.

  5. Re: x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    google1@karlrunge.com wrote:
    > What happens if you disconnect the VNC viewer, leaving the gnome-
    > session
    > still running, and the restart x11vnc and reconnect? I'm wondering if
    > GNOME
    > changes the keymapping when it starts and x11vnc doesn't notice.
    >
    > You can run x11vnc with the '-dk' for keyboard debugging printout.
    > Twice
    > for even more output. Do you see x11vnc processing the Shift key
    > followed by the letter key without any warning messages, etc.?
    >
    > If you run the xev program in a terminal in the remote X session, you
    > can
    > observe which key events make it to the X server.

    I've observed some strange keyboard bugs with TightVNC after starting
    some GNOME apps. The same programs work fine with the modular xf4vnc
    from SourceForge svn. I haven't been able to diagnose it further,
    but it seems to be a bug in the actual VNC X server that GNOME apps
    bring out.

    I also ran into another bug in X that GNOME apps bring out. Relating to
    the XRecord extension's async event monitoring. For some reason the
    async parts of XRecord fail after the GNOME control center has started.
    No one seems to know why yet, or even care beyond me, so it's been in
    there for years.

    This is my custom setup that uses the builtin HTTP server to serve VNC
    connections.

    ../Xvnc :1 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc \
    -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes -httpport $port -alwaysshared \
    -desktop "Foo Desktop" -rfbauth /home/george/.vnc/passwd \
    -rfbport 5901 -rfbwait 120000 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24

    George

  6. Re: x11vnc server - SHIFT Keys not work

    On 26 Mar, 20:42, goog...@karlrunge.com wrote:
    > What happens if you disconnect the VNC viewer, leaving the gnome-
    > session
    > still running, and the restart x11vnc and reconnect?

    Unfortunately, nothing changes.

    > You can run x11vnc with the '-dk' for keyboard debugging printout.
    > Twice
    > for even more output. *Do you see x11vnc processing the Shift key
    > followed by the letter key without any warning messages, etc.?

    Running G, I get always this window

    http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4...ix11vncye5.jpg

    but, trying both options, my problem remains.

    For me, it is necessary to change the configuration file of X.Org by
    ensuring that the settings GNOME coincide with those of X Server.

    Unfortunately, I do not know how to make these changes.

    THANKS

    BYE

+ Reply to Thread