Alternative to glade? - X

This is a discussion on Alternative to glade? - X ; Hello, I am looking for a GTK UI Builder generating C code. I'd prefer it if I could use something else than glade-2 because I don't want to write software that depends on unsupported software. Is this the right group ...

  1. Alternative to glade?

    Hello,

    I am looking for a GTK UI Builder generating C code. I'd prefer it if I
    could use something else than glade-2 because I don't want to write
    software that depends on unsupported software.

    Is this the right group for this question? If not: What would be the
    right group?

    Joris

  2. Re: Alternative to glade?

    Joris Dolderer staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am looking for a GTK UI Builder generating C code. I'd prefer it if
    > I could use something else than glade-2 because I don't want to write
    > software that depends on unsupported software.

    http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/ ? I haven't looked at its
    dependency graph yet, but the webpage looks promising. Also, what is
    unsupported in glade? Which distro are you using? Gentoo says that
    glade 3.4.0 is marked stable and depends only on stuff that I already
    have installed (I have a lot of stuff installed though.)

    > Is this the right group for this question? If not: What would be the
    > right group?

    This is probably good enough for government work. HTH,

    --
    Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans. We need some saliva
    and pickles to get mad. --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"

  3. Re: Alternative to glade?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:34:25 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/

    The problem is that crow-designer is also unsupported. If there is no
    supported alternative, I could use glade-2.

    > Also, what is unsupported in glade? Which distro are you using?
    > Gentoo says that glade 3.4.0 is marked stable and depends only on
    > stuff that I already have installed (I have a lot of stuff installed
    > though.)

    Glade-3 doesn't support C code generation any more. I use gentoo, too.

    Joris

  4. Re: Alternative to glade?

    Joris Dolderer wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:34:25 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    >> http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/

    > The problem is that crow-designer is also unsupported. If there is no
    > supported alternative, I could use glade-2.

    You could do that, but it will reach end-of-life some time.
    It might be wiser to grab glade-3 and use libglade from your C project
    to parse the glade files.

    (just my advice to not stick with a deprecated ide for too long).

    -R-

  5. Re: Alternative to glade?

    Jurgen Haan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Joris Dolderer wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:34:25 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>> http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/ ?

    >> The problem is that crow-designer is also unsupported. If there is no
    >> supported alternative, I could use glade-2.

    > You could do that, but it will reach end-of-life some time. It might
    > be wiser to grab glade-3 and use libglade from your C project to parse
    > the glade files.

    The problem with that is that you've added another dependency (on
    libglade). When you start adding dependencies, they tend to snowball
    and mushroom, and eventually, you end up with GNUcash.

    > (just my advice to not stick with a deprecated ide for too long).

    The main problem is if the code generator you're using relies on
    functions that become deprecated in library-X.Y+3 and then no longer
    work in library-X.Y+8.

    --
    No man is an island, but then no man is a potato salad, either.
    My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/

  6. Re: Alternative to glade?

    Joris Dolderer wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:34:25 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    >> http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/

    > The problem is that crow-designer is also unsupported. If there is no
    > supported alternative, I could use glade-2.
    >
    >> Also, what is unsupported in glade? Which distro are you using?
    >> Gentoo says that glade 3.4.0 is marked stable and depends only on
    >> stuff that I already have installed (I have a lot of stuff installed
    >> though.)

    > Glade-3 doesn't support C code generation any more. I use gentoo, too.

    It shouln't be that hard to write a program that creates C code from
    glade's XML.

    Florian

  7. Re: Alternative to glade?

    Dances With Crows :
    > Joris Dolderer staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > > I am looking for a GTK UI Builder generating C code. I'd prefer it if
    > > I could use something else than glade-2 because I don't want to write
    > > software that depends on unsupported software.

    > http://crow-designer.sourceforge.net/ ? I haven't looked at its

    "Update 2006-10-25: Crow Designer (formerly known as 'Gideon') is no
    longer under active development."