What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH? - X

This is a discussion on What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH? - X ; > >+ Yep, zero on my Debian. > Well, if you're running Debian, you can always remotely restart X thusly: > /etc/init.d/(g|x|k)dm restart > depending desktop manager you're using. Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH?

    > >+ Yep, zero on my Debian.

    > Well, if you're running Debian, you can always remotely restart X thusly:

    > /etc/init.d/(g|x|k)dm restart

    > depending desktop manager you're using.

    Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to text console and use
    startx command to load up X.
    --
    "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
    back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
    ( )

  2. Re: What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH?

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:45:28 -0500,
    Ant , in
    wrote:
    >+ > >+ Yep, zero on my Debian.
    >+
    >+ > Well, if you're running Debian, you can always remotely restart X thusly:
    >+
    >+ > /etc/init.d/(g|x|k)dm restart
    >+
    >+ > depending desktop manager you're using.
    >+
    >+ Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to text console and use
    >+ startx command to load up X.

    I suppose not. You might try switching to the console and doing a
    "killall startx" or similar magic with "ps -ef | grep startx".

    I haven't had consistent results using "killall", so I usually fall
    back to the "ps" way.

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH?

    > >+ Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to text console and use
    > >+ startx command to load up X.

    > I suppose not. You might try switching to the console and doing a
    > "killall startx" or similar magic with "ps -ef | grep startx".

    Isn't that similiar to ps aux and looking for startx, kde, etc.
    manually? If so, then I did all that.

    > I haven't had consistent results using "killall", so I usually fall
    > back to the "ps" way.

    Yeah.
    --
    "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  4. Re: What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:57:31 -0500,
    Ant , in
    wrote:
    >+ > >+ Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to text console and use
    >+ > >+ startx command to load up X.
    >+
    >+ > I suppose not. You might try switching to the console and doing a
    >+ > "killall startx" or similar magic with "ps -ef | grep startx".
    >+
    >+ Isn't that similiar to ps aux and looking for startx, kde, etc.
    >+ manually? If so, then I did all that.

    yoda

    Then already know that which you need. No more training do you require.

    /yoda

    I will point out that startx is a bash script, so the tippy-top parent
    process will be a bash shell...

    isn't looking good, either.

  5. Re: What's the correct way to kill X via remote SSH?

    On 3/18/2008 10:20 AM PT, I R A Darth Aggie typed:

    >> + > >+ Even if I don't use a dm? I boot Debian/Linux to text console and use
    >> + > >+ startx command to load up X.
    >> +
    >> + > I suppose not. You might try switching to the console and doing a
    >> + > "killall startx" or similar magic with "ps -ef | grep startx".
    >> +
    >> + Isn't that similiar to ps aux and looking for startx, kde, etc.
    >> + manually? If so, then I did all that.

    > yoda
    >
    > Then already know that which you need. No more training do you require.
    >
    > /yoda

    Yes, Master.

    > I will point out that startx is a bash script, so the tippy-top parent
    > process will be a bash shell...

    Yeah, killed bash too! Weird stuff.
    --
    "I got worms! That's what we're going to call it. We're going to
    specialize in selling worm farms. You know like ant farms. What's the
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2