Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X. - X

This is a discussion on Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X. - X ; Hello, I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it is KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when booting up Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months ...

  1. Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    Hello,

    I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it is
    KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when booting up
    Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months and maybe a
    year, but finally figured out the pattern to reproduce it.

    Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.

    I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these help!
    Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in advance.
    --
    "What is this? A center for ants?!" "...What?" "How can we be expected
    to teach children to learn how read, if they can't even fit inside the
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: t.A.T.u. - Beliy
    Plaschik

  2. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    In article <47d4a3da$0$7009$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Ant wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it is
    > KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when booting up
    > Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months and maybe a
    > year, but finally figured out the pattern to reproduce it.
    >
    > Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    > up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    > back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    > easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >
    > I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these help!
    > Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in advance.

    Check out KDE's keyboard shortcuts for switching between virtual
    desktops. Sorry, logs didn't help, as I don't speak KDE.

    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of
    being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde

  3. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    On 3/9/2008 10:07 PM PT, Hactar typed:

    >> I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it is
    >> KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when booting up
    >> Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months and maybe a
    >> year, but finally figured out the pattern to reproduce it.
    >>
    >> Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    >> up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    >> back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    >> easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >>
    >> I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these help!
    >> Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in advance.

    > Check out KDE's keyboard shortcuts for switching between virtual
    > desktops. Sorry, logs didn't help, as I don't speak KDE.

    I tried disabling the default shortcut keys for virtual desktop (pager).
    and I was still able to reproduce the crashes. I also tried
    recompiling NVIDIA's latest driver, rebooting, etc.
    --
    "At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai
    Proverb
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  4. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    On 3/10/2008 12:53 AM PT, Ant typed:

    >>> I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it
    >>> is KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when
    >>> booting up Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months
    >>> and maybe a year, but finally figured out the pattern to reproduce it.
    >>>
    >>> Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    >>> up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    >>> back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    >>> easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >>>
    >>> I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these
    >>> help! Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in
    >>> advance.

    >> Check out KDE's keyboard shortcuts for switching between virtual
    >> desktops. Sorry, logs didn't help, as I don't speak KDE.

    > I tried disabling the default shortcut keys for virtual desktop (pager).
    > and I was still able to reproduce the crashes. I also tried
    > recompiling NVIDIA's latest driver, rebooting, etc.

    OK, my other old Linux account works (last used in late 2007) on my
    Debian box and it had no problems (couldn't reproduce the crash). So I
    went back to my normal account with the crash problem. I renamed .kde/
    to another one and reran startx to let KDE to make new settings (skipped
    the wizard). I was unable to reproduce the problem.

    So we're closer to the problem source. I don't feel like reconfiguring
    my KDE at the moment. Are there anything I can look at? Maybe
    configurations in my .kde/?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "... Ooh, we haven't done that in a long time. I love picnics. I'll
    bring my ant jar." --The Berenstain Bears (unknown episode)
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  5. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to knowif it is reproducable for you.

    OK I reproduced it without KDE, so it is not KDE's fault!

    I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    desktop in KDE v3.5 or Gnome v2. Then, I switched to another virtual
    desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen.

    Then, I pressed ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to
    console/text mode. It resulted a X crash like:
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    1: [0xffffe420]
    2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    If I disable this plugin, then I won't get the crash. This plugin is so
    cool to have. I am just wondering if I am the only one with this problem.

    Thanks in advance.

    On 3/9/2008 7:58 PM PT, Ant typed:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 (not even sure if it is
    > KDE's fault) crashing X to console (I use startx command when booting up
    > Debian). Anyways, I think I had this problem for months and maybe a
    > year, but finally figured out the pattern to reproduce it.
    >
    > Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    > up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    > back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    > easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >
    > I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these help!
    > Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in advance.

    --
    "At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai
    Proverb
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to knowif it is reproducable for you.

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:29:51 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > OK I reproduced it without KDE, so it is not KDE's fault!

    I don't know if it is related, and I don't have an answer, but did you
    look at the thread I started a month ago "Sig 11 on switching from X to
    console". I have been through two Arch kernel upgrades and one nVidia
    driver upgrade since then, but I still have the issue.

    /M

  7. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to knowif it is reproducable for you.

    On 3/11/2008 6:19 AM PT, Michael typed:

    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:29:51 -0700, Ant wrote:
    >
    >> OK I reproduced it without KDE, so it is not KDE's fault!
    >>

    > I don't know if it is related, and I don't have an answer, but did you
    > look at the thread I started a month ago "Sig 11 on switching from X to
    > console". I have been through two Arch kernel upgrades and one nVidia
    > driver upgrade since then, but I still have the issue.

    Is this it?
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....60936e6023b74d

    Mine crashes because of hdplopper plugin in GKrellM 2. Do you use those
    two together?
    --
    "I once heard the survivors of a colony of ants that had been partially
    obliterated by a cow's foot seriously debating the intention of the gods
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  8. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to knowif it is reproducable for you.

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:18:15 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > Is this it?
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.....x/browse_frm/

    thread/3f16e46fdac61b5f/ee60936e6023b74d?lnk=st&q=%22Sig+11+on+switching
    +from+X+to+console%22#ee60936e6023b74d

    > Mine crashes because of hdplopper plugin in GKrellM 2. Do you use those
    > two together?

    Yes that is it. I don't use that plugin (though I do use gkrellm), so
    maybe your issue is not the same as mine. Trawling the net, though, I am
    finding a number of people with variations on this problem of crashing X
    when switching to console using the nVidia driver.

    /M

  9. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to know if it is reproducable for you.

    Michael wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:18:15 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > > Is this it?
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.....x/browse_frm/

    > thread/3f16e46fdac61b5f/ee60936e6023b74d?lnk=st&q=%22Sig+11+on+switching
    > +from+X+to+console%22#ee60936e6023b74d
    > >
    > > Mine crashes because of hdplopper plugin in GKrellM 2. Do you use those
    > > two together?

    > Yes that is it. I don't use that plugin (though I do use gkrellm), so
    > maybe your issue is not the same as mine. Trawling the net, though, I am
    > finding a number of people with variations on this problem of crashing X
    > when switching to console using the nVidia driver.

    I need to try non-NVIDIA driver and reproduce this issue. Maybe it IS
    NVIDIA. If it is, then I need to report it to NVIDIA at:
    linux-bugs@nvidia.com and
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/foru...?s=&forumid=14 ...
    --
    "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
    back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
    ( )

  10. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes X (not KDE); Would like to knowif it is reproducable for you.

    [snipped]

    > I need to try non-NVIDIA driver and reproduce this issue. Maybe it IS
    > NVIDIA. If it is, then I need to report it to NVIDIA at:
    > linux-bugs@nvidia.com and
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/foru...?s=&forumid=14 ...

    OK... I am starting to think this is NVIDIA's fault. I went back to nv
    driver by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run startx. I tried to
    reproduce the problem and no crash with gkrellm-hdplop plugin! I am
    going to report this to NVIDIA via e-mail and the forum.

    Is it me or is NVIDIA driver getting buggy in Linux like in Windows?
    --
    "This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the
    next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie