X mode tweaker - X

This is a discussion on X mode tweaker - X ; Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results? xvidtune would work, except it says every mode it comes up with (even an unmodified one) is invalid. Two ...

  1. X mode tweaker

    Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or
    wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results? xvidtune would
    work, except it says every mode it comes up with (even an unmodified
    one) is invalid. Two screens messes it up I guess. I'm having a devil
    of a time making 1200x900 work on my screen (LCD through analog
    connection). ISTR my CRT was easier to get along with...

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP
    1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 1110010 1101111

  2. Re: X mode tweaker

    Hactar a écrit :
    > Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or
    > wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results?

    xrandr --output ... --mode ... ?

  3. Re: X mode tweaker

    In article <47d46450$0$8910$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    YBM wrote:
    > Hactar a écrit :
    > > Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or
    > > wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results?

    > xrandr --output ... --mode ... ?

    I don't see --mode:

    eben@pc:~$ xrandr --help
    usage: xrandr [options]
    where options are:
    -display or -d
    -help
    -o
    or --orientation
    -q or --query
    -s /x or --size /x
    -r or --rate
    -v or --version
    -x (reflect in x)
    -y (reflect in y)
    --screen
    --verbose
    eben@pc:~$

    Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
    would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
    -- Oliver Cromwell

  4. Re: X mode tweaker

    Hactar wrote:
    >> xrandr --output ... --mode ... ?

    > I don't see --mode:
    >
    > eben@pc:~$ xrandr --help
    > usage: xrandr [options]
    > where options are:
    > -display or -d
    > -help
    > -o
    > or --orientation
    > -q or --query
    > -s /x or --size /x
    > -r or --rate
    > -v or --version
    > -x (reflect in x)
    > -y (reflect in y)
    > --screen
    > --verbose

    Interesting. I see:

    splat$ xrandr --help
    usage: xrandr [options]
    where options are:
    -display or -d
    -help
    -o
    or --orientation
    -q or --query
    -s /x or --size /x
    -r or --rate or --refresh
    -v or --version
    -x (reflect in x)
    -y (reflect in y)
    --screen
    --verbose
    --dryrun
    --prop or --properties
    --fb x
    --fbmm x
    --dpi /
    --output
    --auto
    --mode
    --preferred
    --pos x
    --rate or --refresh
    --reflect normal,x,y,xy
    --rotate normal,inverted,left,right
    --left-of
    --right-of
    --above
    --below
    --same-as
    --set
    --off
    --crtc
    --newmode

    [+HSync] [-HSync] [+VSync] [-VSync]
    --rmmode
    --addmode
    --delmode
    splat$ xrandr -v
    Server reports RandR version 1.2
    splat$

    My box is running up to date Gentoo.

    Cheers,
    John McC

  5. Re: X mode tweaker

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:20:46 +0000,
    John McCallum , in
    wrote:
    >+ Hactar wrote:
    >+ >> xrandr --output ... --mode ... ?
    >+ >
    >+ > I don't see --mode:
    >+ >

    >+ Interesting. I see:
    >+
    >+ splat$ xrandr --help
    >+ usage: xrandr [options]

    Perhaps it's time to run

    $ xrandr --version
    Server reports RandR version 1.2

    on a Debian unstable box. Running --help, I get a return that looks
    like the Gentoo output from John.

    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: X mode tweaker

    In article ,
    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:20:46 +0000,
    > John McCallum , in
    > wrote:
    > >+ Hactar wrote:
    > >+ >> xrandr --output ... --mode ... ?
    > >+ >
    > >+ > I don't see --mode:
    > >+ >

    > >+ Interesting. I see:
    > >+
    > >+ splat$ xrandr --help
    > >+ usage: xrandr [options]

    > Perhaps it's time to run
    >
    > $ xrandr --version
    > Server reports RandR version 1.2
    >
    > on a Debian unstable box. Running --help, I get a return that looks
    > like the Gentoo output from John.

    eben@pc:~$ xrandr --version
    Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".

    Hm, that'll have to wait. Can't exit X right now.

    Drive nail here > < for new monitor.

  7. Re: X mode tweaker

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:

    > Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or
    > wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results? xvidtune would
    > work, except it says every mode it comes up with (even an unmodified
    > one) is invalid. Two screens messes it up I guess. I'm having a devil
    > of a time making 1200x900 work on my screen (LCD through analog
    > connection). ISTR my CRT was easier to get along with...

    With more recent versions of X (the last few years, that is), you
    probably don't want to specify modelines (in the old sense) at all.
    Have you tried something really simple like this?

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1200x900"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection

  8. Re: X mode tweaker

    In article <877iga4bnt.fsf@cenderis.demon.co.uk>,
    Bruce Stephens wrote:
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:
    >
    > > Is there anything that would take a mode(line) from xorg.conf (or
    > > wherever), let you modify it, and then test the results? xvidtune would
    > > work, except it says every mode it comes up with (even an unmodified
    > > one) is invalid. Two screens messes it up I guess. I'm having a devil
    > > of a time making 1200x900 work on my screen (LCD through analog
    > > connection). ISTR my CRT was easier to get along with...

    > With more recent versions of X (the last few years, that is), you
    > probably don't want to specify modelines (in the old sense) at all.
    > Have you tried something really simple like this?
    >
    > Subsection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1200x900"
    > ViewPort 0 0
    > EndSubsection

    IIRC the power consumed (= heat generated) by a transistor is
    proportional to its clock speed squared. A CPU is in part a collection
    of transistors. A GPU is a specialized CPU. I'm interested in
    minimizing the heat generated by my video card so I can skimp on fans so
    I can make the computer quieter. The dotclock in the default modeline
    for 1600x1200 is over 160 MHz. As I can reduce the dotclock for
    1200x900 to 100 MHz and still have it work (or for smaller values of
    "work" I can reduce it to 80), I can probably get 1600x1200 down to 120
    or less.

    With that many things to change (pulse width, pulse start, maximum, all
    in X and Y), doing it by modifying xorg.conf, restarting X, and seeing
    what that did takes a long time.

    It would probably _work_ your way, but it would be far from optimal.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    "You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
    "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert

+ Reply to Thread