Crud. Forgot to fix the Subject first time. Try again:

OK, my two monitors (one DVI, one VGA) work fine hanging off my Geforce
7600 GS:

0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown
device 0392 (rev a1)

Everything seems hunky-dory EXCEPT the left monitor (DVI, X monitor #1 I
think) doesn't participate in xscreensaver's displays. It goes black
(abruptly, not a fade like the other one) and stays that way. I've
tried both Twinview alone, and with Xinerama added (I think that's what
it is; nvidia-settings was involved), same deal. (Philosophically, I
prefer Xinerama alone, because if I change video card brands, it still
works.)

I have "mode: random-same" in ~/.xscreensaver and xscreensaver(1) says:

,--
| mode (class Mode)
| Controls the behavior of xscreensaver. Legal values are:
| random-same
| Like random, but if there are multiple screens, each
| screen will run the same random display mode, instead
| of each screen running a different one.
'--

It doesn't do that. What did I do wrong?

Linux 2.0.20.6, xorg 6.8.2, xscreensaver 4.21, nvidia driver 1.0-9755

They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin