xlsatom, xprop - X

This is a discussion on xlsatom, xprop - X ; Hy, I googled a lot, but w/out success. Who know how I can set information in the X-Server and get them back via an Xclient. xlsatom shows some "ATOMS", How can I set them xprop has a switch calles -set ...

  1. xlsatom, xprop

    Hy,
    I googled a lot, but w/out success.
    Who know how I can set information in the X-Server and get them back
    via an Xclient.

    xlsatom shows some "ATOMS", How can I set them
    xprop has a switch calles -set name value (this is what I need, btw).
    But I am unable to find the right syntax.

    regards
    TAB

  2. Re: xlsatom, xprop

    tbasien staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I googled a lot, but w/out success. Who [knows] how I can set
    > information [on] the X Server and get [that information] back [from]
    > an X client?

    More specifics, please. What, precisely, are you trying to set and
    query? Do you want something like xset and xset q?

    > xlsatom shows some "ATOMS". How can I set them?

    "man XInternAtom"?

    > xprop has a switch [called] -set name value. This is what I need.
    > But I am unable to find the right syntax.

    Post the xprop command you're using. Take a look at this:

    xprop | grep WM_NAME
    WM_NAME(STRING) = "mhgraham@mallory:~/News - Shell No. 2 - Konsole"
    xprop -set WM_NAME "mhgraham@foobar:~/News - Shell No. 2 - Konsole"
    (works properly)

    ....leave off the format specifier when doing -set. Also, post what it
    is that you really want to achieve in the end. Whatever your end goal
    is, there's probably an easier way, but nobody can tell you what that
    way is just yet.

    --
    The squirrels now live in fear of the magic exploding compost heap.
    --Dan Holdsworth