xdmcp + Suse linux = ??? - X

This is a discussion on xdmcp + Suse linux = ??? - X ; Hello all, I am trying to set up my Suse 10.1 box so that it can be accessed remotely from a windows client (where one is using Exceed/Hummingbird - or the equivalent). I followed the following instructions but when trying ...

  1. xdmcp + Suse linux = ???

    Hello all,

    I am trying to set up my Suse 10.1 box so that it can be accessed
    remotely from a windows client (where one is using Exceed/Hummingbird
    - or the equivalent).

    I followed the following instructions but when trying some clients,
    they did not work.

    Whenever I have used one type of client, I get a grey screen with an X
    on it. No login screen with an ID and password. For another, it says
    that it cannot contact it at all.

    I had heard that the ports to be used were 6000 and higher. I have a
    firewall but opened the ports from 6000 - 6020.

    **** Is there any way to check whether or not I have configured this
    xdmcp correctly? ****

    I can ping, telnet and/or ssh if need be - but - the connections to
    the server (for xdm) do not seem to work

    TIA

    2. XDMCP connection fails for Linux. How do I configure my Linux box?
    How to configure Linux XDMCP(KDE/GNOME) settings for Xmanager
    Affected Files
    For runlevel: /etc/inittab
    For GDM: /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    For KDM: /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
    /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc
    /usr/share/kdm/kdmrc
    /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
    /etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
    For Firewall: /etc/sysconfig/ipchains
    Step 1. Change runlevel to enable gdm or kdm.
    1. Open /etc/inittab file.
    2. Change the runlevel to 5 as following:

    id:5:initdefault:
    Step 2. GDM configuration (When the Linux is using gdm)
    1. Open /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file.
    2. Go to the [xdmcp]section.
    3. Set the value of "Enable" option to "1".
    Step 3. KDM configuration (When the Linux is using kdm)
    1. Open /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config file.
    2. Comment out "requestPort" option as following:
    DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
    ==>
    !DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
    3. Open /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess file.
    4. Remove the initial "#" character for the following line:
    #* #any host can get a login window
    ==>
    * #any host can get a login window
    5. Open /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc,
    /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc or
    /etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc file.
    6. Change the value of "Enable" option to "true".

  2. Re: xdmcp + Suse linux = ???

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:16:46 -0800, NiteRider wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am trying to set up my Suse 10.1 box so that it can be accessed
    > remotely from a windows client (where one is using Exceed/Hummingbird -
    > or the equivalent).
    >
    > I followed the following instructions but when trying some clients, they
    > did not work.
    >
    > Whenever I have used one type of client, I get a grey screen with an X
    > on it. No login screen with an ID and password. For another, it says
    > that it cannot contact it at all.
    >
    > I had heard that the ports to be used were 6000 and higher. I have a
    > firewall but opened the ports from 6000 - 6020.

    Did you open port 177 for UDP ?

    > **** Is there any way to check whether or not I have configured this
    > xdmcp correctly? ****

    netstat -apl |grep 'kdm'

    Is it "listening" on the correct socket, or at all ?

    > I can ping, telnet and/or ssh if need be - but - the connections to the
    > server (for xdm) do not seem to work

    I find it best to start by turning access controls off on the remote X
    servers (-ac on the command line). That way you can make xdm/kdm/gdm
    work before moving on to the authentication problems.

    As a point of interest i've never been able to make kdm work for xdmcp,
    both xdm and gdm have worked ok though. Be warned redhat now compile
    gdm with all kinds of switches off so to make it work on Fedora I had to
    build it from the source rpm.

    Jon

+ Reply to Thread