Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu - X

This is a discussion on Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu - X ; Hi everyone. I'm having an annoying issue with my mouse on my ubuntu desktop in the office. At random times, my mouse just stops responding. At first I thought my mouse died, physically, but after replacing the mouse with a ...

  1. Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    Hi everyone.

    I'm having an annoying issue with my mouse on my ubuntu desktop in the
    office. At random times, my mouse just stops responding.
    At first I thought my mouse died, physically, but after replacing the
    mouse with a new one (from a HP to a Logitech), I thought it was perhaps
    the USB subsys. But af trying out my memory stick and plugging my mouse
    into the PS2 port (with one of those green converter thingies) it became
    apparant that that wasn't the case.

    I can't seem to get my mouse going again, I tried removing the HID
    modules and reloading them, but no luck. A reboot is my only option.

    I'm running 7.10 with X.org with the opensource ATI drivers in a
    dual-head setup.
    Anyone an idea for a work-around or something?

  2. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    In article <47b00799$0$85790$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I'm having an annoying issue with my mouse on my ubuntu desktop in the
    > office. At random times, my mouse just stops responding.
    > At first I thought my mouse died, physically, but after replacing the
    > mouse with a new one (from a HP to a Logitech), I thought it was perhaps
    > the USB subsys. But af trying out my memory stick and plugging my mouse
    > into the PS2 port (with one of those green converter thingies) it became
    > apparant that that wasn't the case.
    >
    > I can't seem to get my mouse going again, I tried removing the HID
    > modules and reloading them, but no luck. A reboot is my only option.
    >
    > I'm running 7.10 with X.org with the opensource ATI drivers in a
    > dual-head setup.
    > Anyone an idea for a work-around or something?

    Try removing and reinserting the mouse.

    If the mouse speaks PS/2 (odds are it does), try connecting it to the
    PS/2 port with an adapter.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP
    1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 1110010 1101111

  3. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I'm having an annoying issue with my mouse on my ubuntu desktop in the
    > office. At random times, my mouse just stops responding.
    > At first I thought my mouse died, physically, but after replacing the
    > mouse with a new one (from a HP to a Logitech), I thought it was perhaps
    > the USB subsys. But af trying out my memory stick and plugging my mouse
    > into the PS2 port (with one of those green converter thingies) it became
    > apparant that that wasn't the case.
    >
    > I can't seem to get my mouse going again, I tried removing the HID
    > modules and reloading them, but no luck. A reboot is my only option.
    >
    > I'm running 7.10 with X.org with the opensource ATI drivers in a
    > dual-head setup.
    > Anyone an idea for a work-around or something?

    Could it be from static electricity? I had problems like that due to
    shocking the mouse by accident. Try unplugging the mouse, and plugging
    it back in again. You might also benefit from touching something
    grounded, which is what I do now by habit every time before I touch my
    computer now.

    George

  4. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    Hactar wrote:

    > Try removing and reinserting the mouse.
    >
    > If the mouse speaks PS/2 (odds are it does), try connecting it to the
    > PS/2 port with an adapter.

    Neither helps.

  5. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    George Peter Staplin wrote:

    > Could it be from static electricity? I had problems like that due to
    > shocking the mouse by accident. Try unplugging the mouse, and plugging
    > it back in again. You might also benefit from touching something
    > grounded, which is what I do now by habit every time before I touch my
    > computer now.
    >

    > George

    Reinserting does not help.
    So far, all I can do when it happens is reboot.

    It occurs both on PS2 and USB, with different mice.

    So to me it seems the mouse handling in X is doing something quirky.
    And no, restarting X does not help either.

  6. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    In article <47b16bd6$0$85777$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > George Peter Staplin wrote:
    >
    > > Could it be from static electricity? I had problems like that due to
    > > shocking the mouse by accident. Try unplugging the mouse, and plugging
    > > it back in again. You might also benefit from touching something
    > > grounded, which is what I do now by habit every time before I touch my
    > > computer now.

    > Reinserting does not help.
    > So far, all I can do when it happens is reboot.
    >
    > It occurs both on PS2 and USB, with different mice.
    >
    > So to me it seems the mouse handling in X is doing something quirky.
    > And no, restarting X does not help either.

    What about "rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse" (when you're using a PS/2
    mouse)?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP
    1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 1110010 1101111
    1111001 1100001 1101100 1110100 1111001 0101110 1101101 1101001 1101110
    1100101 0101110 1101110 1110101 0111010 0111000 0110001 0101111

  7. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >> George Peter Staplin wrote:
    >> > Try unplugging the mouse, and plugging it back in again.

    >> Reinserting does not help. So far, all I can do when it happens is
    >> reboot. It occurs both on PS2 and USB, with different mice. So to
    >> me it seems the mouse handling in X is doing something quirky.

    If it's both USB and PS/2 mice, it's at a lower level than X. Which
    kernel are you using? Is a KVM involved anywhere? Those can cause
    weirdness for obvious reasons.

    > What about "rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse" (when you're using a
    > PS/2 mouse)?

    If there are recalcitrant PS/2 mice around, using the resetafter=N
    parameter to the psmouse module is another thing to try. This will
    reset the mouse after N bad packets are received.

    --
    You have me mixed up with more creative ways of being stupid.
    --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish

  8. Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I'm having an annoying issue with my mouse on my ubuntu desktop in the
    > office. At random times, my mouse just stops responding.

    Yeah, I've had a couple of reports of this on Ubuntu and Redhat. Let me
    know if you manage to solve it.

    I suggested unloading and reloading the mouse driver modules. I'm not
    sure how successful this has been.)

    FWIW the mouse used to work fine on the old 2.4 series kernels using the
    moused driver. I think there was some restructuring on 2.6 that affected
    the mouse functionality. The moused driver disappeared, and the mouse is
    now driven by kernel modules. (I think, but I don't have any detailed
    information on this, because there were distribution changes taking place, and
    computers were being moved around at the time this was being reported.)

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  9. Smile Re: Mouse dying on me in Ubuntu

    I suggested unloading and reloading the mouse driver modules. I'm not
    sure how successful this has been.)

    unloading and reloading the modules does work. Best answer given.

    thanks,

    Rolando

+ Reply to Thread