wild X internals selection question - X

This is a discussion on wild X internals selection question - X ; Just a hypothetical question for a reactionary stick-in-the-mud X11 user who wishes no one had ever thought of inventing CLIPBOARD in addition to PRIMARY: Would it be possible to invent a mechanism (possibly an X server extension?) to effectively alias ...

  1. wild X internals selection question

    Just a hypothetical question for a reactionary stick-in-the-mud
    X11 user who wishes no one had ever thought of inventing
    CLIPBOARD in addition to PRIMARY:

    Would it be possible to invent a mechanism (possibly an X server
    extension?) to effectively alias the two selections? Any app
    that set PRIMARY would simultaneously set CLIPBOARD and vice-versa.

    Maybe assign the interned CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY names the
    same atom value? :-).

    Is there already a way and I just don't know about it?

    Just curious... (not interested in a debate or flame war about
    the value of two selections - just assume my brain is broken,
    and pity me, OK? :-).

  2. Re: wild X internals selection question

    On Feb 8, 3:02*pm, Tom Horsley wrote:
    > Just a hypothetical question for a reactionary stick-in-the-mud
    > X11 user who wishes no one had ever thought of inventing
    > CLIPBOARD in addition to PRIMARY:
    >
    > Would it be possible to invent a mechanism (possibly an X server
    > extension?) to effectively alias the two selections? Any app
    > that set PRIMARY would simultaneously set CLIPBOARD and vice-versa.
    >
    > Maybe assign the interned CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY names the
    > same atom value? :-).
    >
    > Is there already a way and I just don't know about it?
    >
    > Just curious... (not interested in a debate or flame war about
    > the value of two selections - just assume my brain is broken,
    > and pity me, OK? :-).

    Ok, I'll pity you.

    Why would anyone want what you propose? How would I do this:
    I highlight a word or phrase that I want to use as replacement text,
    then place that in the clipboard (vie CtrlC, for example). Then
    I go to the text I want to replace, highlight that, then copy from
    the clipboard (via CtrlV, for example).

    Using your scenario, this happens:
    I highlight the replacement text (it becomes the PRIMARY).
    I go to the text that I want to replace and highlight it.
    OOPS - that now becomes the PRIMARY, and I can't
    perform the replacement, since the replacement text
    has just been lost!

    --
    Fred Kleinschmdit

+ Reply to Thread