X.org vs Xfree86 - X

This is a discussion on X.org vs Xfree86 - X ; Hello again, I have been curious for some time about something, it is not of practical importance to me, I am just curious. In the past, the X system was more or less a synonym with Xfree86. Then the fork ...

  1. X.org vs Xfree86

    Hello again,

    I have been curious for some time about something, it is not of practical
    importance to me, I am just curious.
    In the past, the X system was more or less a synonym with Xfree86. Then the
    fork X.org was born (read all about this on several pages, no need to
    explain the reasons and stuff like that, there's enough info to be found
    about it). What I am wondering about is whether nowadays there is a good
    reason to use Xfree86 instead of X.org which is incorporated in the majority
    of Linux distros. Does it have certain qualities that X.org lacks or is
    there something else or is it more a matter of "religion"?

    Again, I am fully happy about X.org, I'm just curious whether Xfree86 is
    still playing some important role nowadays.

    Thank You very much in advance for satisfying my curiosity!

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  2. Re: X.org vs Xfree86

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:08:19 +0100,
    Rene , in
    <65Jnj.129631$Dn1.19718@newsfet25.ams> wrote:

    >+ Again, I am fully happy about X.org, I'm just curious whether Xfree86 is
    >+ still playing some important role nowadays.

    It stands as an object lesson for folks in "control" of even popular
    software that it isn't impossible to piss away all that good will and
    causing people to relagate you to the dustbin of history.

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: X.org vs Xfree86

    "Rene" wrote:

    >I have been curious for some time about something, it is not of practical
    >importance to me, I am just curious.
    >In the past, the X system was more or less a synonym with Xfree86.

    That simplification ignores a decade of development work. X existed and
    thrived long before Linux popped into existance.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread