Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X - X

This is a discussion on Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X - X ; Hello to all of You, I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow me to work on ...

  1. Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Hello to all of You,

    I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    the X11 protocol. On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System I have
    found several programs that will allow one to do that but I am not capable
    of judging their quality and reliability being very unexperienced when it
    comes to Linux related things (but I learn). The first one I found is
    X-Win32 but that is both proprietary and not really cheap. The one that
    looked very attractive to me is Xming but again, I know not how good and
    reliable it is in practice. Ease of installation is also a big plus, though
    I am willing to spent time figuring things out (within certain measures) if
    that would give me the chance to use something very superior in quality.

    I express many thanks in advance.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

    P.S. English is not my mother tongue (from the use of the word "cheap" You
    have already deducted that I'm Dutch ;-)) so please forgive me my errors, I
    do my best.

    P.P.S. It is very unpredictable when I can reply so please do not be cross
    when it takes some time, I am really interested and any tips are highly
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    In article ,
    Rene wrote:

    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    > is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    > me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    > the X11 protocol.

    To do that you need an X server for the Windows computer. I've used
    Hummingbird Exceed 6.0.1 under XP. It's of an age where it might work
    acceptably under 98. There's also Xwin32, which I haven't used. Also
    there's a free one but it's rather limited and not very fast. (You get
    what you pay for.)

    > The first one I found is
    > X-Win32 but that is both proprietary and not really cheap.

    Yes, that's the one.

    By "proprietary" you mean "not open source", right? I don't know of
    much 98 open source software, or any open source X servers. But, it's
    been a few years since I looked too.

    If you can manage to work through text, it is much faster.

    --
    The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
    in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has

  3. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Rene wrote:
    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    > is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    > me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    > the X11 protocol.

    You could use VNC, but it accesses the remote computer via remote
    control, and works with the existing desktop on the remote using its own
    protocol.

    Would that suit your needs?

    Why do you need to use X11 protocol?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:34:08 +0100, Rene wrote:

    > Hello to all of You,
    >
    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows
    > (XP is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which
    > would allow me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the
    > network by means of the X11 protocol. On
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System I have found several
    > programs that will allow one to do that but I am not capable of judging
    > their quality and reliability being very unexperienced when it comes to
    > Linux related things (but I learn). The first one I found is X-Win32 but
    > that is both proprietary and not really cheap. The one that looked very
    > attractive to me is Xming but again, I know not how good and reliable it
    > is in practice. Ease of installation is also a big plus, though I am
    > willing to spent time figuring things out (within certain measures) if
    > that would give me the chance to use something very superior in quality.
    >
    > I express many thanks in advance.
    > Yours sincerely,
    > Rene
    >
    > P.S. English is not my mother tongue (from the use of the word "cheap"
    > You have already deducted that I'm Dutch ;-)) so please forgive me my
    > errors, I do my best.
    >
    > P.P.S. It is very unpredictable when I can reply so please do not be
    > cross when it takes some time, I am really interested and any tips are
    > highly appreciated.

    If you search for Kenton Lee's X/Motif web page, you'll find that he has
    a list (although rather dated now) of X apps for MS ranging from free to
    very expensive. Generally, the free ones are quite slow - my favourite
    has been xmgr - it is commercial, but they seem to have an evaluation
    version which does not expire. The thing I like about it is that it will
    handle sessions with several computers at the same time - that was quite
    useful in my former profession (I'm retired now).

  5. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:08:06 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Rene wrote:
    >> I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows
    >> (XP is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which
    >> would allow me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the
    >> network by means of the X11 protocol.

    > You could use VNC, but it accesses the remote computer via remote
    > control, and works with the existing desktop on the remote using its own
    > protocol.
    >
    > Would that suit your needs?
    >
    > Why do you need to use X11 protocol?

    In limited tests I've done, it seems to be faster than vnc.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

  6. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:34:08 +0100, Rene wrote:
    >Hello to all of You,

    >I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    >is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    >me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    >the X11 protocol. On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System I have
    >found several programs that will allow one to do that but I am not capable
    >of judging their quality and reliability being very unexperienced when it

    install cygwin on the windows box, including the X11 sections.
    open a cygwin bash window, execute the command 'startx'
    when the xterm opens, execute the command 'xhost +'

    ssh to the linux box (such as with PuTTY or cygwin's ssh client)
    export DISPLAY=:0
    open x11 application(s)

    or
    install cygwin on windows box, including X11 sections
    open a cygwin bash windows, edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startxdmcp.bat so that
    REMOTE_HOST is set to the IP of your linux machine. Then execute
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startxdmcp.bat.

  7. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:08:06 GMT, Mark Hobley wrote:
    >Rene wrote:
    >> I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    >> is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    >> me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    >> the X11 protocol.

    >You could use VNC, but it accesses the remote computer via remote
    >control, and works with the existing desktop on the remote using its own
    >protocol.

    VNC sucks. The display gets out of sync too easily and wastes too much
    bandwidth on bitmaps.

  8. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Rene a écrit :
    > ... The one that
    > looked very attractive to me is Xming but again, I know not how good and
    > reliable it is in practice. Ease of installation is also a big plus, though
    > I am willing to spent time figuring things out (within certain measures) if
    > that would give me the chance to use something very superior in quality.

    Xming is great and very easy to set up.

  9. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Rene wrote:
    > Hello to all of You,
    >
    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    > is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    > me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    > the X11 protocol. On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System I have
    > found several programs that will allow one to do that but I am not capable
    > of judging their quality and reliability being very unexperienced when it
    > comes to Linux related things (but I learn). The first one I found is
    > X-Win32 but that is both proprietary and not really cheap. The one that
    > looked very attractive to me is Xming but again, I know not how good and
    > reliable it is in practice. Ease of installation is also a big plus, though
    > I am willing to spent time figuring things out (within certain measures) if
    > that would give me the chance to use something very superior in quality.
    >
    > I express many thanks in advance.
    > Yours sincerely,
    > Rene
    >
    > P.S. English is not my mother tongue (from the use of the word "cheap" You
    > have already deducted that I'm Dutch ;-)) so please forgive me my errors, I
    > do my best.
    >
    > P.P.S. It is very unpredictable when I can reply so please do not be cross
    > when it takes some time, I am really interested and any tips are highly
    > appreciated.

    Hi Rene
    I'm sorry to hear you're Dutch too, but hey, nobody's perfect.

    As you may have seen, there is almost always more than one way in Linux
    to do something. Those different ways all have there own advantages and
    limitations.
    Do you want to:
    - access or update data from another computer (networking)
    - share data in compatible format between different systems
    - install and run a Windows application to run on a Linux box under
    an emulator e.g. Wine
    - log on remotely using your Linux box as a terminal
    - use X Window.

    If you can describe what you want/need, there's probably someone here
    who knows how.

    TTFN

  10. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Rene wrote:
    > Hello to all of You,
    >
    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    > is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    > me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    > the X11 protocol. On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System I have
    > found several programs that will allow one to do that but I am not capable
    > of judging their quality and reliability being very unexperienced when it
    > comes to Linux related things (but I learn). The first one I found is
    > X-Win32 but that is both proprietary and not really cheap. The one that
    > looked very attractive to me is Xming but again, I know not how good and
    > reliable it is in practice. Ease of installation is also a big plus, though
    > I am willing to spent time figuring things out (within certain measures) if
    > that would give me the chance to use something very superior in quality.

    I've spent a few days repackaging and stripping Cygwin into a simple X
    server with fonts. it's a 1.9M installer, the software is under the GPL
    license. It can uses the limited local fontbase, or you can make use of
    a remote font server.

    If you want it, I can throw up a temporary URL containing the installer.

  11. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > I've spent a few days repackaging and stripping Cygwin into a simple X
    > server with fonts. it's a 1.9M installer, the software is under the GPL
    > license. It can uses the limited local fontbase, or you can make use of
    > a remote font server.
    >
    > If you want it, I can throw up a temporary URL containing the installer.

    uses... throw up... *sigh*
    Re-reading posts before sending is never a bad plan. :P

  12. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    On Jan 20, 11:34 am, "Rene" wrote:
    > Hello to all of You,
    >
    > I was hoping You might give some tips about a program to run on Windows (XP
    > is most important, when 98 SE is possible that is a plus) which would allow
    > me to work on a Linux (Gutsy Gibbon) computer over the network by means of
    > the X11 protocol.

    [snip]

    http://linuxgazette.net/129/pitcher.html

  13. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Hello again,

    I am sorry that my reply is this late. It has not been because of lack of
    interest in Your answers but because of lack of time.
    Your answers have been highly educating and usefull to me, I can start
    experimenting now (one of the reasons I asked this question is that I simply
    want to get this going, just for fun).

    Thank You very much for Your help!

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  14. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    "Jurgen Haan" schreef in bericht
    > Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >> I've spent a few days repackaging and stripping Cygwin into a simple X
    >> server with fonts. it's a 1.9M installer, the software is under the GPL
    >> license. It can uses the limited local fontbase, or you can make use of
    >> a remote font server.
    >>
    >> If you want it, I can throw up a temporary URL containing the installer.

    > uses... throw up... *sigh*
    > Re-reading posts before sending is never a bad plan. :P

    Hello Jurgen,

    Yes, please, throw up, that would be very kind of You! ;-) No kidding, I
    really would like to download the package very much. Can't promise You a
    rapid feedback on my behalf though, it all depends on when I have time to
    work on this.

    I'll check back later to see if You have put it on a download location.
    Thank You very much in advance.

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  15. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    "ray" schreef in bericht
    > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:34:08 +0100, Rene wrote:

    > If you search for Kenton Lee's X/Motif web page, you'll find that he has
    > a list (although rather dated now) of X apps for MS ranging from free to
    > very expensive. Generally, the free ones are quite slow - my favourite
    > has been xmgr - it is commercial, but they seem to have an evaluation
    > version which does not expire. The thing I like about it is that it will
    > handle sessions with several computers at the same time - that was quite
    > useful in my former profession (I'm retired now).

    Could it be that You gave the name of another program than the one You want
    to tell me about? Xmgr seems to be a data plotting tool for X, not a server,
    neither is it commercial. Would You be willing to dig in Your memory once
    more for the program You did mean?

    Thanks in advance!
    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  16. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

  17. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    > Rene wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, please

    > http://home.concepts.nl/~wbn0123/cygwin_x.exe

    Hello Jurgen,

    A big coincedence that I am sitting at my computer at this moment! It's
    already been downloaded. Thank You very much!

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  18. Re: Working on Linux computer from Windows XP computer through X

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Rene wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, please

    > http://home.concepts.nl/~wbn0123/cygwin_x.exe

    (This is the 20M version with the integrated fonts, that's the one you
    want. The other one, the 2M one can only make use of a fontserver.(

+ Reply to Thread