"where is the mouse" thingy - X

This is a discussion on "where is the mouse" thingy - X ; Hey folks. I had this problem before, but now that I have two monitors it's only gotten worse. Occasionally, I lose the mouse pointer and I have to track it down by waving the pointer and seeing what windows highlight. ...

  1. "where is the mouse" thingy

    Hey folks. I had this problem before, but now that I have two monitors
    it's only gotten worse. Occasionally, I lose the mouse pointer and I
    have to track it down by waving the pointer and seeing what windows
    highlight. (At least the two monitors line up so there are no ledges
    for the pointer to get hung up on.) I have a spare button on my
    trackball that I can't find a use for (#6, TTBOMK X only supports 5).
    Is it possible to make it launch a utility that shows a graphic for half
    a second or however long it's held down? I guess if I can't use it I'll
    use some unusual key. I use fvwm2 which is pretty feature-free; I
    haven't seen that function in it.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? [TOFU := text oben,

  2. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    Hactar wrote:
    > Hey folks. I had this problem before, but now that I have two monitors
    > it's only gotten worse. Occasionally, I lose the mouse pointer and I
    > have to track it down by waving the pointer and seeing what windows
    > highlight.

    There is a utility called xeyes, which displays a pair of eyes on the
    screen which look towards the mouse pointer, helping to track its
    location. You may already have this installed on your system.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    In article ,
    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > Hey folks. I had this problem before, but now that I have two monitors
    > > it's only gotten worse. Occasionally, I lose the mouse pointer and I
    > > have to track it down by waving the pointer and seeing what windows
    > > highlight.

    > There is a utility called xeyes, which displays a pair of eyes on the
    > screen which look towards the mouse pointer, helping to track its
    > location. You may already have this installed on your system.

    Yes, someone mentioned that; it sounds like it might do the trick. Know
    any way to embed it into gkrellm?

    --
    "On two occasions I have been asked, -- 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put
    into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'

  4. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > In article ,
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    >> Hactar wrote:
    >>> Hey folks. I had this problem before, but now that I have two
    >>> monitors it's only gotten worse. Occasionally, I lose the mouse
    >>> pointer and I have to track it down by waving the pointer and seeing
    >>> what windows highlight.

    >> There is a utility called xeyes, which displays a pair of eyes on the
    >> screen which look towards the mouse pointer, helping to track its
    >> location. You may already have this installed on your system.

    xeyes is available, just not quite what Hactar wants. I *thought* there
    was a way to do this, possibly a utility whose name I'm forgetting. I
    don't think it'd be insanely difficult to gen up an Xlib app that does
    "find current hotspot position, draw 50-pixel-radius yellow circle on
    that position, wait 1 second, erase circle, exit". I can't do that
    right now... maybe this weekend? The low-tech solution is always "move
    mouse such that cursor goes into one corner of screen", which I have
    done and still do occasionally.

    > Yes, someone mentioned that; it sounds like it might do the trick.
    > Know any way to embed it into gkrellm?

    It's not an applet of any type, but a rather basic demo for Xlib (how to
    use the SHAPE extension, how to find the hotspot, etc.) If gkrellm
    allows you to embed arbitrary X clients, it'll work.

    --
    A bomb is a female dog. Ketchup is a two wheeled vehicle. Vegetables
    can be smoked, just like crack. Crack is a poor substitute for

  5. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    In article ,
    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > > In article ,
    > > Mark Hobley wrote:
    > >> There is a utility called xeyes, which displays a pair of eyes on the
    > >> screen which look towards the mouse pointer, helping to track its
    > >> location. You may already have this installed on your system.

    > xeyes is available, just not quite what Hactar wants. I *thought* there
    > was a way to do this, possibly a utility whose name I'm forgetting. I
    > don't think it'd be insanely difficult to gen up an Xlib app that does
    > "find current hotspot position, draw 50-pixel-radius yellow circle on
    > that position, wait 1 second, erase circle, exit". I can't do that
    > right now... maybe this weekend? The low-tech solution is always "move
    > mouse such that cursor goes into one corner of screen", which I have
    > done and still do occasionally.

    Than, I appreciate that. It's such a useful thing, it's hard to believe
    it hasn't been done already.

    > > Yes, someone mentioned that; it sounds like it might do the trick.
    > > Know any way to embed it into gkrellm?

    > It's not an applet of any type, but a rather basic demo for Xlib (how to
    > use the SHAPE extension, how to find the hotspot, etc.) If gkrellm
    > allows you to embed arbitrary X clients, it'll work.

    Can't find a way (either native or via plugin) to do that. I have an
    FvwmPager running across the bottom of my R monitor; I'm playing with
    the idea (if gkrellm doesn't pan out) of embedding that in a dock of
    sorts then having another cell in the dock run {tu,}xeyes. If I can get
    *eyes to have one eye instead of two, that'd be even better. The
    parallax, being too small, does nothing for me.

    When we've nuked the world to a cinder, the ****roaches picking
    over the remains will be crawling over the remaining artifacts
    and wondering what "PC LOAD LETTER" means. -- PC / ASR

  6. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> xeyes is available, just not quite what Hactar wants. I *thought*
    >> there was a way to do this, possibly a utility whose name I'm
    >> forgetting. I don't think it'd be insanely difficult to gen up an
    >> Xlib app that does "find current hotspot position, draw
    >> 50-pixel-radius yellow circle on that position, wait 1 second, erase
    >> circle, exit". I can't do that right now... maybe this weekend? The

    > Than, I appreciate that. It's such a useful thing, it's hard to
    > believe it hasn't been done already.

    The xosd library does its thing by creating a screen-sized window and
    making it always-on-top. Then it draws junk into that window when
    necessary, then erases it. Doing this is requiring a bit more code than
    I thought (even though I'm copying wholesale from libxosd) so all I have
    now is incomplete.

    > I'm playing with the idea (if gkrellm doesn't pan out) of embedding
    > that in a dock of sorts then having another cell in the dock run
    > {tu,}xeyes. If I can get *eyes to have one eye instead of two, that'd
    > be even better. The parallax, being too small, does nothing for me.

    xeyes always draws 2 eyes, though you can specify the size and colors
    used.

    --
    "Unfortunately, men befriend women in futile attempts to get a 3D
    accelerated video card thingy..." -- MegaHAL (trained on ASR),

  7. Re: "where is the mouse" thingy

    In article ,
    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > > Dances With Crows wrote:
    > >> Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > >> xeyes is available, just not quite what Hactar wants. I *thought*
    > >> there was a way to do this, possibly a utility whose name I'm
    > >> forgetting. I don't think it'd be insanely difficult to gen up an
    > >> Xlib app that does "find current hotspot position, draw
    > >> 50-pixel-radius yellow circle on that position, wait 1 second, erase
    > >> circle, exit". I can't do that right now... maybe this weekend? The

    > > Than, I appreciate that. It's such a useful thing, it's hard to
    > > believe it hasn't been done already.

    > The xosd library does its thing by creating a screen-sized window and
    > making it always-on-top. Then it draws junk into that window when
    > necessary, then erases it. Doing this is requiring a bit more code than
    > I thought (even though I'm copying wholesale from libxosd) so all I have
    > now is incomplete.

    What can I do to help? I know some C, less C++, and no X APIs. OTOH,
    I might pick it up if I had to...

    > > I'm playing with the idea (if gkrellm doesn't pan out) of embedding
    > > that in a dock of sorts then having another cell in the dock run
    > > {tu,}xeyes. If I can get *eyes to have one eye instead of two, that'd
    > > be even better. The parallax, being too small, does nothing for me.

    > xeyes always draws 2 eyes, though you can specify the size and colors
    > used.

    I should reduce it to one eye. But I've got it reduced to use what 1
    miniature monitor would use, off the L end (where the monitors abut) of
    my pager.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

+ Reply to Thread