Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized - X

This is a discussion on Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized - X ; A friend of mine is running Ubuntu, which I believe is a Gnome desktop. He wants to configure his desktop, so that when he starts an application, the windows open at a default size (like they do in Micros~1dows), rather ...

  1. Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized

    A friend of mine is running Ubuntu, which I believe is a Gnome desktop.
    He wants to configure his desktop, so that when he starts an
    application, the windows open at a default size (like they do in
    Micros~1dows), rather than being maximized on startup.

    Is there a simple way to do this?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  2. Re: Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:08:08 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > A friend of mine is running Ubuntu, which I believe is a Gnome desktop.
    > He wants to configure his desktop, so that when he starts an
    > application, the windows open at a default size (like they do in
    > Micros~1dows), rather than being maximized on startup.
    >
    > Is there a simple way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    >
    > Mark.

    IME, they start the way they were at last use. When I close something
    that is currently maximized, it will restart maximized. If I start
    something that is in a smaller window, it restarts at the same dimensions.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized

    In comp.os.linux.x Joe wrote:

    > IME, they start the way they were at last use. When I close something
    > that is currently maximized, it will restart maximized. If I start
    > something that is in a smaller window, it restarts at the same dimensions.

    Is there a way of overriding that behaviour via configuration to force
    applications to always start in a normalized state, whether or not they
    were normalized on exit?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: Gnome desktop start windows normalized, rather than maximized

    On 2008-01-11, Mark Hobley hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.x Joe wrote:
    >
    >> IME, they start the way they were at last use. When I close something
    >> that is currently maximized, it will restart maximized. If I start
    >> something that is in a smaller window, it restarts at the same dimensions.

    > Is there a way of overriding that behaviour via configuration to force
    > applications to always start in a normalized state, whether or not they
    > were normalized on exit?

    It used to be that one could do so in a .Xresources (or .Xsession)
    file. Haven't done so, (used for a long time "ICEWM) and there it
    was a bit different.

    http://web.mit.edu/answers/xwindows/...resources.html

    might help?

    > Mark.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "Slackware" is a word used by the Hopi tribe and means:
    "white man has too much leisure time at his hands. "

+ Reply to Thread