startx from terminal or telnet - X

This is a discussion on startx from terminal or telnet - X ; Hi, I have a very strange phenomenon. I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run 'startx'. Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same window I run the 'startx' ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: startx from terminal or telnet

  1. startx from terminal or telnet

    Hi,
    I have a very strange phenomenon.
    I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    'startx'.
    Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    I can work normally.
    BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    the X doesnt run properly:
    - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    run
    - cant open web-browser
    - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

    Did it happened to someone?
    Is it something with my hardware?
    Why is this happening?

    I would love to hear any comments.

    Thanks,
    hagit

    PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC

  2. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    On Jan 9, 12:01 pm, hagit wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > 'startx'.
    > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine.


    Are you running:

    startx &

    or suspending it and running bg, in order to run these other commands?

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)(http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times s selectfont}d/s{11}d/r{roll}d f 2/m{moveto}d -1
    r 230 350 m 0 1 179{ 1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 12
    d f pop 235 420 translate 0 0 moveto 1 2 scale show showpage

  3. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    On Jan 10, 12:29*am, Edward Rosten wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 12:01 pm, hagit wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > > 'startx'.
    > > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine.

    >
    > Are you running:
    >
    > startx&
    >
    > or suspending it and running bg, in order to run these other commands?
    >
    > -Ed
    >
    > --
    > (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)(http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258)
    >
    > /d{def}def/f{/Times s selectfont}d/s{11}d/r{roll}d f 2/m{moveto}d -1
    > r 230 350 m 0 1 179{ 1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 12
    > * * d f pop 235 420 translate 0 0 moveto 1 2 scale show showpage


    I am running

    startx &

    then typing

    ls

    from the same window (telnet session) I run the 'startx &'

  4. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    In article ,
    Edward Rosten wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 12:01 pm, hagit wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > > 'startx'.
    > > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine.

    >
    > Are you running:
    >
    > startx &
    >
    > or suspending it and running bg, in order to run these other commands?


    Tell me how those are different, please.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    GEMINI: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive
    flatulence. Your love life will run into trouble when your fiancee hurls
    a javelin through your chest. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

  5. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    Hactar wrote:

    >>
    >> startx &
    >>
    >> or suspending it and running bg, in order to run these other commands?

    >
    > Tell me how those are different, please.
    >


    They aren't.
    Just two ways to get the same result.

  6. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    hagit wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > 'startx'.
    > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    > I can work normally.
    > BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    > the X doesnt run properly:
    > - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    > run
    > - cant open web-browser
    > - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    > X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).
    >
    >
    > PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC


    It is a strange problem indeed.
    There really isn't something I can think of that is causing this.
    Lacking any logic to why this is happening, I'm blaming telnet. (Though
    it really should not, but perhaps something quirky is going on with the
    STDOUT/STDERR streams).
    Could you try running startx from within a screen? (the screen utility).
    Does this also happen when you start X from a console, or from SSH?

    And what happens if you do 'startx > /dev/null 2>&1'?
    If this solves the problem, then I think something strange is going on
    between startx and some other tool displaying output on STDERR and/or
    STDOUT in combination with telnet.

    Other than the output streams conflicting, I can't think of anything
    else causing the problem.

    -R-

  7. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    In article <47873D7F.5070403@fake.dom>, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    >
    > >> startx &
    > >>
    > >> or suspending it and running bg, in order to run these other commands?

    > >
    > > Tell me how those are different, please.

    >
    > They aren't.
    > Just two ways to get the same result.


    Oh good. Thought I'd missed something fundamental.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  8. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    On Jan 11, 12:07*pm, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > hagit wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > > 'startx'.
    > > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    > > I can work normally.
    > > BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    > > the X doesnt run properly:
    > > - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    > > run
    > > - cant open web-browser
    > > - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    > > X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

    >
    > > PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC

    >
    > It is a strange problem indeed.
    > There really isn't something I can think of that is causing this.
    > Lacking any logic to why this is happening, I'm blaming telnet. (Though
    > it really should not, but perhaps something quirky is going on with the
    > STDOUT/STDERR streams).
    > Could you try running startx from within a screen? (the screen utility).
    > Does this also happen when you start X from a console, or from SSH?


    I also run the "startx &" command from console (I connect my board to
    via RS232 to a serial port) and the same is happening there.

    >
    > And what happens if you do 'startx > /dev/null 2>&1'?
    > If this solves the problem, then I think something strange is going on
    > between startx and some other tool displaying output on STDERR and/or
    > STDOUT in combination with telnet.


    I will try it and let u know - Thanks!!!!!

    >
    > Other than the output streams conflicting, I can't think of anything
    > else causing the problem.
    >
    > -R-- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -



  9. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    On Jan 12, 4:07*pm, mbadude wrote:
    > On Jan 11, 12:07*pm, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > hagit wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > > > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > > > 'startx'.
    > > > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > > > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    > > > I can work normally.
    > > > BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    > > > the X doesnt run properly:
    > > > - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    > > > run
    > > > - cant open web-browser
    > > > - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    > > > X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

    >
    > > > PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC

    >
    > > It is a strange problem indeed.
    > > There really isn't something I can think of that is causing this.
    > > Lacking any logic to why this is happening, I'm blaming telnet. (Though
    > > it really should not, but perhaps something quirky is going on with the
    > > STDOUT/STDERR streams).
    > > Could you try running startx from within a screen? (the screen utility).
    > > Does this also happen when you start X from a console, or from SSH?

    >
    > I also run the "startx &" command from console (I connect my board to
    > via RS232 to a serial port) and the same is happening there.
    >
    >
    >
    > > And what happens if you do 'startx > /dev/null 2>&1'?
    > > If this solves the problem, then I think something strange is going on
    > > between startx and some other tool displaying output on STDERR and/or
    > > STDOUT in combination with telnet.

    >
    > I will try it and let u know - Thanks!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > Other than the output streams conflicting, I can't think of anything
    > > else causing the problem.

    >
    > > -R-- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    OK,
    I have tried

    'startx > /dev/null 2>&1'

    and I got the same proble. X isn't started when I press 'enter' 10
    times after running the command.....
    Very strange..

+ Reply to Thread