shortcut key problem in Xterm - X

This is a discussion on shortcut key problem in Xterm - X ; Hi, I try to bind the underscore ("_") character to the shift+space key- combination in Xterm terminal. I put these lines in the .Xdefaults file: XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n\ Shift space: string(_) but the shift+space only gives me a normal space.... ...

  1. shortcut key problem in Xterm

    Hi,
    I try to bind the underscore ("_") character to the shift+space key-
    combination in Xterm terminal.
    I put these lines in the .Xdefaults file:

    XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n\
    Shiftspace: string(_)

    but the shift+space only gives me a normal space....
    BTW alt+space works(!) but I would like to use the left shift key....
    Please help me
    Best regards,
    Roey

  2. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 04:21:16 -0800 (PST), roeygroen@gmail.com wrote:
    >I try to bind the underscore ("_") character to the shift+space key

    > XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n\
    > Shiftspace: string(_)

    Maybe a syntax problem.
    Some examples to look at

    XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override\
    BackSpace: string(0x7f) \n \
    Delete:string(0x7f) \n \
    Home: string("[1~") \n \
    End: string("[4~")

  3. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    Thanks,
    It doesn't seem like a syntax problem since the combination with the
    Alt key works!
    Any other suggestions?

    10X!

  4. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:57:53 -0800 (PST), roeygroen@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > It doesn't seem like a syntax problem since the combination with the
    > Alt key works!

    Sorry I cannot see how you set the Alt key from here.

    Looking at http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xt...tml#how2_fkeys
    I would have guessed you should use the 0x5f hex code or put
    underscore in quotes.

    If you are lucky, Thomas E. Dickey will see your post and straighten
    us both out. I see him every once in awhile helping people.

  5. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    Hi Bit Twister
    Thanks very much for your help.
    When I type :
    xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Altspace:
    string(_)'
    or:
    xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Altspace:
    string(0x5f)'

    The thing works i.e. when I press the alt key together with the space
    key - I get an underscore.
    But... I would like to do the same thing with the shift key. i.e.:
    xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Shiftspace:
    string(_)'

    but that config brings me a regular space when I press the shift+space
    keys....
    Thanks very much for you patience...
    Roey

  6. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    roeygroen@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Bit Twister
    > Thanks very much for your help.
    > When I type :
    > xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Altspace:
    > string(_)'
    > or:
    > xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Altspace:
    > string(0x5f)'

    > The thing works i.e. when I press the alt key together with the space
    > key - I get an underscore.
    > But... I would like to do the same thing with the shift key. i.e.:
    > xterm -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n Shiftspace:
    > string(_)'

    It works for me (though I'd never considered using a space that way).
    I tried both the literal underscore and the hex code.

    I suppose it's possible that your keyboard definition may override
    this in some obscure way.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  7. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    Thanks very much - I'll find out what can be overriding it...

  8. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    BTW - the reason for using it is that I work with lots of eda tools
    and most of the commands are separated with underscore instead of
    space so it breaks down the blind typing speed....
    Anyway thanks very much

  9. Re: shortcut key problem in Xterm

    roeygroen@gmail.com wrote:

    > I try to bind the underscore ("_") character to the shift+space key-
    > combination in Xterm terminal.

    Is it on purpose that you only want to do it in xterm, and not in your
    general keyboard settings for X?

    With xmodmap you can make shift+space give you an underscore like
    this:

    xmodmap -e 'keycode 65 = space underscore'

    But the effect will be for X and not just for xterm.

    Greetings,

    Jacob
    --
    "Hungh. You see! More bear. Yellow snow is always dead give-away."

+ Reply to Thread