Problems with video card driver with ATI - X

This is a discussion on Problems with video card driver with ATI - X ; First the context: I'm running Mandriva Linux Spring 2007 (Linux kernal 2.6.17-13mdv) on a Siemens Fujitsu Scaleo with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor. According to Windows (checked before installing Linux---I replaced Windows entirely), my graphics card is a ...

  1. Problems with video card driver with ATI

    First the context: I'm running Mandriva Linux Spring 2007 (Linux
    kernal 2.6.17-13mdv) on a Siemens Fujitsu Scaleo with an AMD
    Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor. According to Windows (checked
    before installing Linux---I replaced Windows entirely), my
    graphics card is a Radeon X1700 FSC. I don't know how to find
    out the version of XFree (which is really my first question).
    My monitor is an LG L1900E. The only way to modify the
    brightness of the monitor is via DDC---there are no other
    controls.

    With the stock installation from Mandriva, I was unable to get
    ddccontrol to work---it said that there were no monitors
    supporting DDC. In addition, color rendition was very poor;
    according to Mandriva, it was 16 bits (rather than the 24
    supported by the card), and couldn't be changed.

    Mandriva also said that the video card was unknown, so I
    reconfigured, forcing it to ATI. At that point, Mandriva said
    that there was a vendor specific driver available, and did I
    want to use it. I said yes. After reboot, all I got was a
    blank screen, so I rebooted in safe mode, reinstalled the old
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and rebooted. Discussion in the ddccontrol
    mail list also indicated that I needed the proprietary driver,
    so...

    I went to the ATI site, downloaded the proprietary driver, and
    installed it. The color rendition is definitly improved (and my
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf says that I use 24 bits, and only 24 bits),
    but ddccontrol still doesn't work. In addition, as soon as I
    log out, the screen goes black, and I need to reboot. After a
    reboot, I get the usual login screen---KDE, I think, but its a
    Mandriva adaptation---, and can log in normally. It's only
    after logging out that everything goes black.

    For the moment, I'm going to reinstall the original
    configuration, but does anyone have any ideas as to what can be
    causing the login problem, and how I can correct it? I'd
    rather keep the improved rendering. (Once that's solved, I'll
    to solve that. Unless someone here has a good idea about that
    as well.)

  2. Re: Problems with video card driver with ATI

    In article ,
    James Kanze wrote:
    > First the context: I'm running Mandriva Linux Spring 2007 (Linux
    > kernal 2.6.17-13mdv) on a Siemens Fujitsu Scaleo with an AMD
    > Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor. According to Windows (checked
    > before installing Linux---I replaced Windows entirely), my
    > graphics card is a Radeon X1700 FSC. I don't know how to find
    > out the version of XFree (which is really my first question).

    xdpyinfo. Look for the line like

    X.Org version: 6.8.2

    > My monitor is an LG L1900E. The only way to modify the
    > brightness of the monitor is via DDC---there are no other
    > controls.

    That bites. Are there no controls on the monitor, or is it that they
    don't work?

    > With the stock installation from Mandriva, I was unable to get
    > ddccontrol to work---it said that there were no monitors
    > supporting DDC. In addition, color rendition was very poor;
    > according to Mandriva, it was 16 bits (rather than the 24
    > supported by the card), and couldn't be changed.
    >
    > Mandriva also said that the video card was unknown, so I
    > reconfigured, forcing it to ATI. At that point, Mandriva said
    > that there was a vendor specific driver available, and did I
    > want to use it. I said yes. After reboot, all I got was a
    > blank screen, so I rebooted in safe mode, reinstalled the old
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and rebooted. Discussion in the ddccontrol
    > mail list also indicated that I needed the proprietary driver,
    > so...
    >
    > I went to the ATI site, downloaded the proprietary driver, and
    > installed it. The color rendition is definitly improved (and my
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf says that I use 24 bits, and only 24 bits),
    > but ddccontrol still doesn't work. In addition, as soon as I
    > log out, the screen goes black, and I need to reboot. After a
    > reboot, I get the usual login screen---KDE, I think, but its a
    > Mandriva adaptation---, and can log in normally. It's only
    > after logging out that everything goes black.

    Non-X display doesn't work. Your computer is still running, even though
    you can't see anything. Probably. Does it seem to work? Might be the
    console font selection, or maybe something's messed up in the kernel
    config. Don't exit X and you should be fine. Heh.

    > For the moment, I'm going to reinstall the original
    > configuration, but does anyone have any ideas as to what can be
    > causing the login problem, and how I can correct it? I'd
    > rather keep the improved rendering. (Once that's solved, I'll
    > to solve that. Unless someone here has a good idea about that
    > as well.)

    Unless you have your heart set on Mandriva, try a different distro.
    Ubuntu's quite popular these days and works for me.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

  3. Re: Problems with video card driver with ATI

    On Jan 6, 1:07 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    > James Kanze wrote:

    > > First the context: I'm running Mandriva Linux Spring 2007 (Linux
    > > kernal 2.6.17-13mdv) on a Siemens Fujitsu Scaleo with an AMD
    > > Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor. According to Windows (checked
    > > before installing Linux---I replaced Windows entirely), my
    > > graphics card is a Radeon X1700 FSC. I don't know how to find
    > > out the version of XFree (which is really my first question).

    > xdpyinfo. Look for the line like

    > X.Org version: 6.8.2

    OK. That works. (It says 7.2.0 with the version I've
    currently got installed.)

    > > My monitor is an LG L1900E. The only way to modify the
    > > brightness of the monitor is via DDC---there are no other
    > > controls.

    > That bites. Are there no controls on the monitor, or is it
    > that they don't work?

    There are none on the monitor. And the brightness is definitely
    more than I want. As you say, it bites.

    > > With the stock installation from Mandriva, I was unable to get
    > > ddccontrol to work---it said that there were no monitors
    > > supporting DDC. In addition, color rendition was very poor;
    > > according to Mandriva, it was 16 bits (rather than the 24
    > > supported by the card), and couldn't be changed.

    > > Mandriva also said that the video card was unknown, so I
    > > reconfigured, forcing it to ATI. At that point, Mandriva said
    > > that there was a vendor specific driver available, and did I
    > > want to use it. I said yes. After reboot, all I got was a
    > > blank screen, so I rebooted in safe mode, reinstalled the old
    > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and rebooted. Discussion in the ddccontrol
    > > mail list also indicated that I needed the proprietary driver,
    > > so...

    > > I went to the ATI site, downloaded the proprietary driver, and
    > > installed it. The color rendition is definitly improved (and my
    > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf says that I use 24 bits, and only 24 bits),
    > > but ddccontrol still doesn't work. In addition, as soon as I
    > > log out, the screen goes black, and I need to reboot. After a
    > > reboot, I get the usual login screen---KDE, I think, but its a
    > > Mandriva adaptation---, and can log in normally. It's only
    > > after logging out that everything goes black.

    > Non-X display doesn't work. Your computer is still running,
    > even though you can't see anything. Probably. Does it seem
    > to work? Might be the console font selection, or maybe
    > something's messed up in the kernel config. Don't exit X and
    > you should be fine. Heh.

    Logging out exits X, and the rest of the family use the machine
    as well. (And yes, I've got even the computer illiterates using
    Linux.)

    > > For the moment, I'm going to reinstall the original
    > > configuration, but does anyone have any ideas as to what can be
    > > causing the login problem, and how I can correct it? I'd
    > > rather keep the improved rendering. (Once that's solved, I'll
    > > to solve that. Unless someone here has a good idea about that
    > > as well.)

    > Unless you have your heart set on Mandriva, try a different distro.
    > Ubuntu's quite popular these days and works for me.

    Well. I'd used Suse when I was in Germany, and it seemed pretty
    good, so I've installed it. The video driver now at least lets
    me set the color depth to 24 bits, and the color rendering has
    improved. But Suse doesn't seem to have as many skins, etc., as
    Mandriva---I can't find the smaller icons I used with KDE
    before. And xine doesn't find the XDiv codec, and I can't
    figure out where to install it. (Or maybe the problem is that
    I'm running a 64 bit AMD, the version of the XDiv codex I have
    is 32 bits. If I can find the time, I'll download a 32 bit
    xine, and use that---it's what I did for firefox under
    Mandriva.)

    And ddccontrol still doesn't work (but I haven't yet had time to
    install the proprietary driver from ATI).

    In the end, my choice of distribution was based on what CD's the
    local distributor had handy; I'm quite open to any of them. But
    I will purchase a CD (since I can't contribute otherwise). The
    next problem is time---the important things (bash, vim and g++)
    are working, and there are always so many things I have to do
    that are more important.

  4. Re: Problems with video card driver with ATI

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:35:18 -0800, James Kanze wrote:

    >> > My monitor is an LG L1900E. The only way to modify the
    >> > brightness of the monitor is via DDC---there are no other
    >> > controls.

    >> That bites. Are there no controls on the monitor, or is it
    >> that they don't work?

    > There are none on the monitor. And the brightness is definitely
    > more than I want. As you say, it bites.

    There's a few options with brightness.

    Many laptops have a hotkey for it. Fn + (something that looks like Shift
    8 with an up or down arrow) for my laptop. On my old sony vaio, there
    was sonypi, but it never worked for me on that laptop. Very difficult to
    setup, and cli only, unless you wrote a short tk/tcl script to adjust it.
    But as I said, never got it working. At least never got it to change
    anything on my laptop. As far as I could tell, it was compiled,
    installed, and configured correctly. I think gkrellm even had a plugin
    for it.

    Baring that if you get the ATI driver working, there's ATI Catalyst
    Control Center. Which has most of the options you'd get by double
    clicking the ATI icon in the taskbar in windows. Shows up under KDE's
    menu item in icewm on debian, when installed via --buildpkg Debian/stable
    to generate distro specific packages. Not that it has a proper
    /usr/share/menu/ item to easily locate it. In package fglrx-amdcccle.
    And /usr/bin/amdcccle for the executable.

    Baring that X has some gamma settings to adjust its own brightness. man
    xgamma.

    Been there done that on the brightness thing. Most annoying. And waiting
    for the LCD to burn in to where it can't be that bright takes too long.
    Especially irritating with a hangover. Although brightness has it's uses
    if you want to actually see your LCD in direct sunlight.

    HTH

+ Reply to Thread