X-Input for multi-press (mobile phone) keyboards ? - X

This is a discussion on X-Input for multi-press (mobile phone) keyboards ? - X ; Hello, I was interested in using a numeric-pad as a mobile-phone keyboard, so that pressing, let's say the key "7" once will type "a", pressing it twice in a short time period will type "b" , ... like a normal ...

  1. X-Input for multi-press (mobile phone) keyboards ?

    Hello,

    I was interested in using a numeric-pad as a mobile-phone keyboard, so
    that pressing, let's say the key "7" once will type "a", pressing it
    twice in a short time period will type "b" , ... like a normal mobile
    phone would do.

    I have seen al least one application, gnome-terminal, that allows a
    similar behaviour if I choose
    "Input Method -> Multi-Press" (right-clicking to open the "float
    menu").

    But I have no idea if it's possible to do that same in a general way.
    In particular a was interested in using it with an embedded version of
    firefox.

    Thanks in advance for any help, hint, tip or link.

  2. Re: X-Input for multi-press (mobile phone) keyboards ?

    ENRIQUE staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I was interested in using a numeric-pad as a mobile-phone keyboard, so
    > that pressing, let's say the key "7" once will type "a", pressing it
    > twice in a short time period will type "b" , like a normal mobile
    > phone would do.
    >
    > I have seen at least one application, gnome-terminal, that allows a
    > similar behaviour if I choose "Input Method -> Multi-Press"
    > (right-clicking to open the "float menu"). But I have no idea if it's
    > possible to do that same in a general way.

    I think doing it for all X clients would involve hacking on the X input
    module that handles keyboards. This is not conceptually difficult, but
    the details might bite you in the ass. I am not sure, but the place to
    start might be xorg-xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/lnx_kbd.c . Or
    there might be a way to do this with XKB, though XKB is a mess. HTH,

    --
    A bomb is a female dog. Ketchup is a two wheeled vehicle. Vegetables
    can be smoked, just like crack. Crack is a poor substitute for