How to start application minimized - X

This is a discussion on How to start application minimized - X ; Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting application minimized so that it would not generate pop-up windows that steal focus? -- Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/ Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta. Please use a XHTML compliant web browser....

  1. How to start application minimized

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  2. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    Fix your newsreader so that it wraps lines at < 80 chars.

    > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting [an]
    > application minimized, so that it [does] not generate pop-up windows
    > that steal focus?

    "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second or
    2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    --
    ....continuing expansion of government/rule enforcement will result in
    something like a police state. Of course it'll be called "Happy Fun

  3. Re: How to start application minimized

    On 30 Dec 2007 17:24:42 GMT
    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    > Fix your newsreader so that it wraps lines at < 80 chars.

    Done (except for quotation).

    > > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting [an]
    > > application minimized, so that it [does] not generate pop-up windows
    > > that steal focus?

    Thanks for correcting my English.

    > "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    > this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second or
    > 2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    Thanks. Would be nice to have in other systems than KDE, too.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  4. Re: How to start application minimized

    On 2007-12-30, Jarno Suni wrote:

    > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting
    > application minimized so that it would not generate pop-up windows
    > that steal focus?

    Use your ~/.Xdefaults file to customize how X should handle specific
    applications.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: How to start application minimized

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:20:26 -0600
    John Thompson wrote:

    > Use your ~/.Xdefaults file to customize how X should handle specific
    > applications.

    Interesting. Could you be more specific, how would you do it for e.g.
    Firefox?

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  6. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni wrote:

    > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting
    > application minimized so that it would not generate pop-up windows
    > that steal focus?

    Fvwm of course

    Florian

  7. Re: How to start application minimized

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    > this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second or
    > 2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    Passing ooffice the -nologo parameter disables the splash.
    Passing ooffice the -minimize parameter minimizes the splash.

  8. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting [an]
    >>> application minimized, so that it [does] not generate pop-up
    >>> windows that steal focus?

    >> "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    >> this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second
    >> or 2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    > Thanks. Would be nice to have in other systems than KDE, too.

    There should be something analogous to kstart for GNOME. No idea what
    it's called. Some apps (like ooffice) have a --minimize switch. I
    suppose there's always the option of running "wmctrl -r $NAME -b
    add,shaded" immediately after starting $NAME. This doesn't exactly
    minimize an app, but is a lot better than nothing and is or should be
    WM-independent. wmctrl's man page doesn't mention any way to minimize
    windows (sigh).

    --
    Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
    Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.

  9. Re: How to start application minimized

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:38:45 +0100
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Fvwm of course

    How do you do it in Fvwm?

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  10. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni :
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:20:26 -0600
    > John Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > Use your ~/.Xdefaults file to customize how X should handle specific
    > > applications.

    > Interesting. Could you be more specific, how would you do it for e.g.
    > Firefox?

    No idea if it works, but I'm trying

    Firefox-bin.geometry: 945x652+6+3

  11. Re: How to start application minimized

    On 30 Dec 2007 17:24:42 GMT
    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    > this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second or
    > 2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    I tried kstart --iconify $FOO. It works well for Opera, but it does
    not work well for Firefox, as Firefox asks wheter or not to restore
    saved session in the beginning. It does not work for Gimp, even if you
    use --no-splash option for Gimp.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  12. Re: How to start application minimized

    On 30 Dec 2007 17:24:42 GMT
    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Jarno Suni staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    > > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting [an]
    > > application minimized, so that it [does] not generate pop-up windows
    > > that steal focus?

    > "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized. However, doing
    > this with ooffice pops up the standard OOO splash screen for a second or
    > 2. This window doesn't steal focus AFAICT.

    I found that it does not work for Firefox and it works for xchat only if
    the Network list window is not displayed as second window.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  13. Re: How to start application minimized

    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Jarno Suni wrote:
    >
    > > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting
    > > application minimized so that it would not generate pop-up windows
    > > that steal focus?

    > Fvwm of course

    Have you tested it by launching Firefox.

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  14. Re: How to start application minimized

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:24:09 GMT
    Jarno Suni wrote:

    > On 30 Dec 2007 17:24:42 GMT
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    > > "kstart --iconify $FOO" in KDE starts $FOO minimized.

    [...]
    > I found that it does not work for Firefox and it works for xchat only if
    > the Network list window is not displayed as second window.

    I want to be able to start Firefox session in background, but it
    doesn't seem to work by kstart. Can anybody tell if the problem is in
    Firefox or kstart? Can anybody help with this problem?

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  15. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni wrote:

    D> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:38:45 +0100
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Jarno Suni wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does any window manager / desktop environment support starting
    >> > application minimized so that it would not generate pop-up windows
    >> > that steal focus?

    >> Fvwm of course

    > Have you tested it by launching Firefox.

    Style Firefox StartIconic
    works with Firefox 3.0b3 and fvwm 2.5.21

    Florian

  16. Re: How to start application minimized

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:02:16 +0100
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Style Firefox StartIconic
    > works with Firefox 3.0b3 and fvwm 2.5.21

    Do you mean that after you have added that line to config file, and you
    start Firefox in some menu in fvwm, Firefox starts iconified?

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

  17. Re: How to start application minimized

    Jarno Suni wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:02:16 +0100
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Style Firefox StartIconic
    >> works with Firefox 3.0b3 and fvwm 2.5.21

    > Do you mean that after you have added that line to config file, and you
    > start Firefox in some menu in fvwm, Firefox starts iconified?

    Yes.

    Florian

  18. Re: How to start application minimized

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 20:35:22 +0100
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Jarno Suni wrote:

    > > Do you mean that after you have added that line to config file, and you
    > > start Firefox in some menu in fvwm, Firefox starts iconified?

    > Yes.

    I ran "Setup 95 Script" in root menu and then appended the line to
    ~/.fvwm/styles. However, I can start firefox only from terminal and
    then iconifying does not work apparently. How can I start Firefox
    properly?

    --
    Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
    Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
    Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

+ Reply to Thread